Agnew's Ferry?

Billy1977

Sergeant
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Location
Flippin, Arkansas (near Yellville)
Hello everybody, I was wondering if someone could tell me where was Agnew's Ferry located. All I have to go on is a report in the Official Records here

http://ebooks.library.cornell.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=moawar;cc=moawar;idno=waro0010;node=waro0010:3;view=image;seq=64;size=100;page=root

about a reconnaissance made by a detachment from the 5th Iowa Cavalry on 25 March 1862, the recon was launched from Fort Henry and though it doesn't say in the report where Agnew's Ferry was I am pretty sure it would have to be on the Tennessee River as it says "(I) learned to my satisfaction that his steam ferry-boat was at some point down the river in possession of the United States forces."

Since Fort Henry was on the Tennessee River I am presuming that the "river" referred to must be the Tennessee. And the ORs refer to it as "Reconnaissance to Agnew's Ferry, Tenn." so I am presuming they're correct, that it was in Tennessee rather than across the border in Kentucky. But beyond that I have no idea where it was. Fort Henry is currently underwater (and presumably will remain so) so I tried calling the Fort Donelson National Park Service park office but they're closed for renovation and I just got a recording. Does anybody here live around that area and might know where Agnew's Ferry was? Many thanks in advance.
 
Last edited:

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top