A Stitch From Time

The latest book that my fellow 7th Mississippi researcher's have published has a "housewife" on the cover.
51jqKkzstJL.jpg

https://www.amazon.in/May-Angels-Guard-Thee-Mississippi-ebook/dp/B00LMF0PHK

This "housewife" was made for Private George S. Lee of Company C, 7th Mississippi Voluntary Infantry by his sister.

There's nothing left of the original design due to his blood stains following the Battle of Franklin.

I'm amazed this little sewing kit even exists after 150 plus years.
 
Last edited:
Rats! Now I'll get sidetracked looking up the ' housewife ' thread! They were pretty awesome, weren't they? You could see where a soldier would find them awfully handy, too, provided his wife ( or mother ) ensured he could sew We have this kind of thing now, they're just plastic. You know, there's a teeny pair of scissors, needle and 3 or 4 colors of thread in a little pink case? Every few years I lose my mind and buy one, carry the darn thing around for months before figuring out I'm not at war and will never use the thing- and put it in a Goodwill bag.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top