A letter from Fort Monroe VA

ARW

Sergeant
This is an 1864 letter from Pvt. Franklin Strong, Co. F, 203rd Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, to his wife Lucy. He is my 1st cousin 4x removed. Franklin Strong was born 4 Oct 1837; died 16 Nov 1890. He served as a Private in Company F, 203rd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry from 6 Sep 1864 to 25 Jun 1865. He was wounded in the hand at Fisher NC, 15 Jan 1865. He had a brother in the 141PVI and a cousin in the 3rd PA Heavy Artillery Co E that was at the Bermuda Hundred

I think this is a great look into what these men were going through on a day to day basis. There were 4 letters in all that were found. This is the last one.

I am not in possession of the original. This copy was sent to me by a family researcher. The description of the letter is from him.

This letter is drafted in pencil on plain white paper, folded in half and written on four panels. It was then tri-folded. There is an embossed seal of a wreath with illegible lettering within, approx. 1 inch in diameter, in the upper left corner of this letter. The original envelope is missing. For clarity I have added punctuation, enclosing it in brackets. I have also placed brackets around text which I cannot decipher or which is questionable. I have tried to retain the original spelling.

Page 1.

In front of Fortified Monroe Dec 11th/64

Dear and affectionate wife
I am glad of the privalige of sending a few lines to you to let you now whare I am and how I am[.] I am on the boat cald [Pdeha] and am laying in sight of fortified monroe Thare is a bout six hundred men on this boat and rations for twenty days and it is more than she can carry anny farther. The boat is from [hunninota] hundred this far and she is wating it is said to have a boat come and take off two companies[.] then we are going to north carolina[.] that is what we think [.] we dont now[.] shure we are marching unnder sealed orders it is said [.] we have bin laying here three days [.] all ready it is a very hard place for men to be[.] it is afful cold up on deck and afful dearty down under and thare is two horses onh board and thare s [nus] runs each sid of the boat as she rocks and the men are as thick as ever you see she [afr[ crouded to gether[.] we have no chance to lay down at tall thare is such a crowd[.] I cant say to you that I am well for i am most dead with the heat ake and I have got

Page 2.

an afful cold[.] we leftr our napsacks on Chafins Farm and the news is on board here today that the rebbles has got that place back a gain[.] if that is so it it is good by to Mr napsack[.] it is now most night and I have tried all day to send you a few lines and i could not get any paper untill a few minuts ago and then I had to give five cts for this paper and invelop when you get this if you can poot in your letter so I can send it back to you as soon as I get it so you will now whar I am[.] I answered all your lettrs that I got be fore I left camp the deed jest came in time for me to sign and start it back[.] I had not time to rite to you then for we was all read to start and it was a bought twelve oclock at night and I did not have it more than fifteen minets be fore I mailed it back to you[.] tell me if you get it all right

Page 3.

and remember the name of the boat that we are on So if she was to be recked you will now what be come of us derest[.] the same as be fore only the Corps say the 24th Corps short of the 10th[.] tell James famaly he is here and as well as could be expected under the presant case and that he sends his love to them[.] he could not get any paper to rite to them to day[.] tell Mary B I thank here for her few lines she sent me and I asked the same and that I sent my love to them[.] I am not able to write to them now but that I would be glad to if I could get any paper[.] it is very cold tonight here and we have nothing to [hant] over us but our gun blankets[.] it is now dark and I shal have to wate till tomorrow to finish for I cant see what I am saying[.]

The morning of the 12th/64[.] Dear Lucy[,] I will try and finish my letter but I have a verry poor place to rite and it is very cold[.] I am in a large skift way up on the upper deck and a heavy cannun

Page 4.

over me resting on my head and it shakes me so that I cant rite hardly[.] my head akes verry bad this morning[.] the old cornel said last night that we was one years men and we could stand it[.] he was heard to say that that we inlisted for the bounty and that shot shoes have much he thainkul for[.] he has a nice room with a stove in and six men to gard it[.] it is so very cold here I shal have to rite in a hurry as I shal freeze[.] I shoould be very happy if I sit your stove this morning but as I can not have that privalige I will think of you and pray wich all blessings flow[.] the capton of the boat said he would lay here 3 months be fore hearing wed go to sea with all these men on[,] so I dont now how long we will be here[.] I am well aware that I am not at all well but I hope thes few lines will find you much mor comfortable than my self[.] take good care of yourself and dont for get to remember me at the folks as I am not able to write to them

Back