A Bugler in his Tent

John Hartwell

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
bugler_zpsvldy030c.jpg
']
bugler_zpsvldy030c.jpg
[/URL]
An unidentified young bugler relaxes comfortably in a rocking-chair placed on a fancy carpet just outside his well-appointed tent. Hanging from a tree is a paper lantern, with what appears to be a likeness of Gen. Grant (or maybe Pres. Lincoln) on it.

with permission, from Ron Coddington.

I can hardly believe those are actual field conditions, but that sure is a comfortably set-up tent. I wish I'd had something equally comfortable when I used to camp with my cousin back in the 60s!

Reminds me of the many Boy Scout camp-outs I've gone on over the years... some of the dads bring the basic pup tent, sleep on the ground, rough it.... other dad's bring the big air mattress, tent heater, folding recliner chair, portable tv, etc. This guy is of the latter type...

Missed this earlier, thank you! It is amazing how they determined to bring home to war. Hate to speculate, tell me to shush! You just read where the armies slept on their muskets or dropped where they were on marches, fell asleep on horses- must have been Heaven to even get this close to keeping your feet dry or being somewhere more than a day.

I can hardly believe those are actual field conditions, but that sure is a comfortably set-up tent. I wish I'd had something equally comfortable when I used to camp with my cousin back in the 60s!

I also haven't seen buckles on shoes like that during the CW. I also portray my 5th G-grandfather in my Sons of the American Revolution chapter by dressing in Rev. War uniform. Those shoes ain't comfortable. I know from trying to break them in.

Last edited:
Responding again. I'm satisfied that it's an actual outdoor photo, but the camp site is truly fancy and that's what makes me think it's more of a permanent training camp than a field camp. I believe the young man even has a wooden floor in his tent.

Back