Trivia 9-9-19 Lee's Statue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
The Richmond Dispatch May 25, 1890 issue, gives a lot of coverage to the arrival of the Robert E Lee statue and its unveiling later that week. Based on articles in this issue, please answer the following.
The monument of Lee sitting on Traveler was the second design the architect submitted. If his first design had been accepted, a scene from what battle would have been depicted?
Lee’s saddle is modeled after who’s Civil War saddle?
One of the expected visitors for the unveiling ceremony is Mrs J. M. Johnson of Atlanta, Georgia. Mrs Johnson was a sister of two Georgia generals. What were their names?

credit: @SWMODave

1. General Lee riding among the dying troops from The Battle of Gettysburg
2. The saddle was modeled after Robert-Philippe-Louis-Eugène-Ferdinand d'Orléans, duc de Chartres (1840–1910)the serving on the Union side during the war (along with his brother)
3. Mrs. J.M. Johnson’s (Mary Willis Cobb Johnson aka Mrs. John Milton Johnson) brothers were Howell Cobb & Thomas R.R. Cobb
https://virginiachronicle.com/?a=d&d=RD18900525.1.1&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN-------

1) Gettysburg
2) Duc de Chartres (later spelled Duc de Charters).
3) The optical character reader at the site I was looking at did a horrible job with the newsprint and it won't let me do a successful word search. I'm skipping this part of the question.

Does 'Georgia generals' mean they were born in Georgia or they commanded armies from Georgia.

1) Scene from what battle hat been the first design: Gettysburg
1568033268448.png

2) Saddle was designed after who's CW saddle: The saddle of the Duc de Chartres, who had fought on the Union side and used the saddle throughout the war. The saddle was formerly a property of Louis Philippe.
1568033520796.png

2 Mrs. Johnson was the sister of Georgia generals Howell Cobb and Thomas R. R. Cobb
1568033811369.png

Source

The Richmond Dispatch May 25, 1890 issue, gives a lot of coverage to the arrival of the Robert E Lee statue and its unveiling later that week. Based on articles in this issue, please answer the following.
The monument of Lee sitting on Traveler was the second design the architect submitted. If his first design had been accepted, a scene from what battle would have been depicted?
Lee’s saddle is modeled after who’s Civil War saddle?
One of the expected visitors for the unveiling ceremony is Mrs J. M. Johnson of Atlanta, Georgia. Mrs Johnson was a sister of two Georgia generals. What were their names?

credit: @SWMODave
The first design showed Lee riding among the defeated wounded and dying at Gettysburg. In the final design, he is seated on a saddle modeled after one "lent by the Duc de Chartres... formerly the property of Louis Phillippe".
Mrs. J. M. Johnson was the sister of Howell Cobb and Thomas R. R. Cobb.

If his first design had been accepted, a scene from what battle would have been depicted? Gettysburg

Lee’s saddle is modeled after who’s Civil War saddle? Per the sculptor, “I modelled the saddle from one lent by the Duc de Chartres. It was formerly the property of Louis Phillippe. The Duc de Chartres and his brother the Comte de Paris it will be remembered served on the Northern side. The saddle was used by the former throughout the war.”

One of the expected visitors for the unveiling ceremony is Mrs J. M. Johnson of Atlanta, Georgia. Mrs Johnson was a sister of two Georgia generals. What were their names? Howell Cobb and Thomas RR Cobb

Source

1) Gettysburg. Horse rearing as he passed his dying troops. Very suprising, but understandably poignant.
2) Saddle was modeled after a saddle used by Duc de Chartres. Former property of Louis Phillippe. Curious wording as Duc de is the former versus his brother Comte de Paris. See footnote. No clue on who Louis is.
3) Howell Cobb and Thomas Cobb

Footnote. I had to look up the definition of former versus latter. Our boy Duc is the former. I just don't know the tie of L Phillippe to this saddle. Since Duc de Chartres used the saddle in the civil war, it makes sense to use it.

Sorry for having to look that up, but I always get confused on that phrase.

“Former” refers to the first of TWO persons or things. Example: “This item is available in wood and in metal, but I prefer the former.”( Wood: the first of two things) “Latter” refers to the second of TWO persons or things.

1. Gettysburg - passing among his dying troops on the field of Gettysburg - the horse rearing, the dying stretching for a last
affectionate glance of their leader.
2. The saddle of Prince Robert L.E.F. of Orleans, Duke of Chartres - Union Officer
3. Mrs. J. M. Johnson was the sister of Gen. Howell Cobb and Gen. Thomas R.R. Cobb

Source: The Richmond Dispatch May 25, 1890

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back