Trivia 9-20-19 & Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
I had just taken a Union private prisoner, when a most unusual set of unfortunate circumstances occurred. The Union prisoner that I had taken prisoner saw a loaded carbine laying on the ground. He picked up the carbine and fired killing my horse. During my horse's death struggle, I was thrown from my dying horse and unfortunately landed in a tannery vat. I was fully submerged in the tanning liquid. The Union private captured my orderly and he helped me out of the tannery vat. My gray uniform with its velvet facing and white gauntlet gloves, my face and hair had all been completely stained, so that I presented a most laughable sight. After I was captured, my North Carolina unit retreated. This action occurred during the Gettysburg Campaign.

Who is the Confederate Officer that went head first into the tannery vat?
Who is the Union private that allegedly took the Reb officer prisoner?
What battle did this action occur on?

credit: @Wallyfish

Bonus:
This city, the site of a significant Western Theater battle in 1862, was originally known as Cross City, though it had assumed its current name by the time of the Civil War. By what name was it known when the battle took place?

Hint: The city is located approximately 50 miles north of the birthplace of an American king.

credit: @hoosier

Bonus

That should be Corinth, MS. The significant battle fought there must be the Second Battle of Corinth, Oct. 3/4, 1862.

By "birthplace of an American King" - did you mean Tupelo, birthplace of "The King" - Elvis Presley? :thumbsup:

Source for name:
1568981946429.png

Source for 2nd Battle of Corinth:

Question
The Confederate Officer was Lieutenant Colonel William H. Paine
The Union private was Abraham Folger
It happened during the Battle of Hanover, Pennsylvania June 30, 1863, as troops were heading to the finale that would be Gettysburg. JEB Stuart’s cavalry clashed with forces forming the rear guard of Judson Kilpatrick’s forces.
Source

Bonus
According to the NPS the originally named Cross City, was renamed Corinth (Mississippi) with the Battle of Shiloh taking place 20 miles north of the city in April, 1862 and also the 2nd Battle of Corinth in October of the same year.
https://www.nps.gov/shil/learn/historyculture/corinth.htm
https://www.britannica.com/place/Corinth-Mississippi

Who is the Confederate Officer that went head first into the tannery vat? Colonel (later Brigadier General) William H. F. Payne.
Who is the Union private that allegedly took the Reb officer prisoner? Private Abram Folger.
What battle did this action occur on? Battle of Hanover (June 30, 1863).
Source: Plenty of Blame to Go Around by Eric J. Wittenberg & J. David Petruzzi, page 96.

Bonus: Corinth MS (50 miles north of Tupelo MS).

Regular question:

1) Who was the Confederate officer?
William Henry Fitzhugh Payne

2) Who was the Union Private?
Abram Folger, Company H, Fifth New York Cavalry

3) What battle?
June 30, 1863, Battle of Hanover

Sources:

Snip-it_1568988841616.jpg

I had just taken a Union private prisoner, when a most unusual set of unfortunate circumstances occurred. The Union prisoner that I had taken prisoner saw a loaded carbine laying on the ground. He picked up the carbine and fired killing my horse. During my horse's death struggle, I was thrown from my dying horse and unfortunately landed in a tannery vat. I was fully submerged in the tanning liquid. The Union private captured my orderly and he helped me out of the tannery vat. My gray uniform with its velvet facing and white gauntlet gloves, my face and hair had all been completely stained, so that I presented a most laughable sight. After I was captured, my North Carolina unit retreated. This action occurred during the Gettysburg Campaign.

credit: @Wallyfish
William H. F. Payne, Lieutenant Colonel, Second North Carolina Cavalry.
Abraham Folger, Private, Fifth New York Cavalry.
The cavalry action at Hanover, Pennsylvania, June 30, 1863.

Bonus:
This city, the site of a significant Western Theater battle in 1862, was originally known as Cross City, though it had assumed its current name by the time of the Civil War. By what name was it known when the battle took place?

Hint: The city is located approximately 50 miles north of the birthplace of an American king.

credit: @hoosier
Corinth, Mississippi was founded in 1853 as Cross City.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back