Trivia 9-15-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Early in the war I was kidnapped by guerillas and I later became William C. Quantrill's mistress. Upon his death I found out that I was in his will and came into half of his loot from the war. I used his money to open a posh brothel in St. Louis. Who am I? I will accept either name as some historians say she was known by two different last names at different times.

credit: @Polloco

Early in the war I was kidnapped by guerillas and I later became William C. Quantrill's mistress. Upon his death I found out that I was in his will and came into half of his loot from the war. I used his money to open a posh brothel in St. Louis. Who am I? I will accept either name as some historians say she was known by two different last names at different times.

credit: @Polloco
Kate King, aka Kate Clarke.
Source: Stuart W. Sanders, "America’s Civil War: Guerrilla Leader William Clarke Quantrill’s Last Raid in Kentucky", Historynet. https://www.historynet.com/americas...m-clarke-quantrills-last-raid-in-kentucky.htm

Sarah Katherine King

Sarah Catherine King Quantrill - Thirteen year-old wife of William Quantrill. Stayed in St. Louis, Mo. while Quantrill was in Kentucky. Returned home to Jackson County, Mo. after the war and rebuilt her parents’ home. Returned to St. Louis and married twice more while running a house of prostitution. Died 9 Jan 1930 at 82.

Source: https://www.genealogy.com/forum/general/topics/civilwar/18582/
FYI, This gives a fascinating account of each member of the gang

Just found out the above link leads not to the article I quoted! Therefore here comes the quote:

"The recently published book, "Kate In Fact and Fiction," is the intriguing story of the survival of Sara Catherine King, who at age 13 alienated her family by running away from her Blue Springs home during the Civil War and marrying the notorious guerrilla leader.

Three and a half years later, their marriage ended with Quantrill's 1865 murder in Kentucky. The 17-year-old widow found herself alone in St. Louis, living a life in refuge as Kate Clarke.
[...] She was by herself in St. Louis and didn't know what to do or how to survive. Back then, there wasn't a lot (for a woman to do). You could be a seamstress, you could be a cook or you could do things that weren't so honorable" – like prostitution. Kate chose the latter; soon she became madam Kate Clarke at one of the finest bordellos in St. Louis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back