Trivia 8-29-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
This 21st Missouri officer led a patrol to scout for Confederate forces the night before the Battle of Shiloh and reported that thee were none in the vicinity.

credit: @hughes

Edit - It seems safe to assume that third word in the second line of the question should be "there," rather than "thee."

Last edited by a moderator:
That should be Colonel David Moore.

Sources: http://shilohdiscussiongroup.com/topic/70-col-david-moore/ and
1567079567182.png

SIR : -- In pursuance of the order of Brig. Gen. B. M. Prentiss, commanding Sixth Division, Army of West Tennessee, I on Saturday proceeded to a reconnaissance on the front on the front of the line of General Prentiss' division and on the front of General Sherman's division. My command consisted of three companies from the Twenty-first Missouri Regiment -- companies commanded by Captains Cox, Harle, and Pearce. A thorough reconnaissance over the extent of 3 miles failed to discover the enemy. Being unsuccessful, as stated, I returned to my encampment about 7 o'clock p.m. ....

Colonel David Moore

As Colonel David Moore (of the 21st Missouri) wrote in his report on April 11th, 1862

"SIR: — In pursuance of the order of Brig. Gen. B. M. Prentiss, commanding 6th Division, Army of West Tennessee, I, on Saturday, (April 5th,) proceeded to a reconnoisance on the front of the line of Gen. Prentiss' division, and on the front of Gen. Sherman's division. My command consisted of three companies from the 21st Missouri Regiment, companies commanded by Capt's Cox, Harle and Pearce. A thorough reconnoisance over the extent of three miles failed to discover the enemy. Being unsuccessful, as stated, I returned to my encampment about 7 p. m."

https://archive.org/stream/21stmissouriregi00holm/21stmissouriregi00holm_djvu.txt

Colonel David Moore

1567085275822.png

Scapegoat of Shiloh: The Distortion of Lew Wallace's Record by U.S. Grant / by Kevin Getchell, page 70

"Saturday, April 5, 1862, passed quietly. Later that day, Prentiss ordered Moore to send out a reconnaissance patrol and strengthen the outpost pickets. Moore led three companies of the 21st Missouri south on a well-beaten trail leading the East Corinth Road a half mile from the camp, then proceeded west beyond the Western Corinth Road. In the heavy timber and deep ravines beyond Prentiss' front, Moore did not penetrate deeply into the woods and found no trace of a Rebel presence other than fresh hoofprints. If Moore had pressed his patrol farther, he might have discovered evidence that an entire Confederate army was close by. Instead, he returned to camp and reported merely that enemy calvary might be near."

This 21st Missouri officer led a patrol to scout for Confederate forces the night before the Battle of Shiloh and reported that thee were none in the vicinity.

credit: @hughes
David Moore (1817-1893). On April 5th, Colonel Moore was ordered to lead a 4:00 PM reconnaissance south and southwest of the 6th Division campsite. "Moore returned after sunset, reporting that he had not seen the enemy."
<Larry J. Daniel, S
hiloh: The Battle That Changed the Civil War. (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1997), p. 141.>

Col. David Moore.

Prentiss ordered three companies of Col. David Moore's 21st Missouri regiment to conduct a patrol. Moore apparently lost his way and instead of heading toward the Confederates he patrolled across the front of Sherman's men. When he returned about 7 p.m. he reported to Prentiss that the enemy was not present in any number. This was enough for Prentiss, who refused to prepare his division for an attack.

Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back