The Peninsula 7 Days Campaign.

I just read "To The Gates of Richmond - The Peninsula Campaign" by Stephen Sears and I thought it was very good. I have read several books by Sears and find them very detailed and readable.

Steve's book is quite good, but like all of his works, it has two problems: first, he doesn't walk the ground, so he lacks familiarity with the terrain. Second, all of his books have a theme, and this one, as is usual for him, the theme is "McClellan is really, really bad" when that's not entirely fair. The Burton book lacks that particular prejudice.

Steve's book is quite good, but like all of his works, it has two problems: first, he doesn't walk the ground, so he lacks familiarity with the terrain. Second, all of his books have a theme, and this one, as is usual for him, the theme is "McClellan is really, really bad" when that's not entirely fair. The Burton book lacks that particular prejudice.

I haven't read this particular book by Sears, but the ones I have read contain many factual errors and are characterized by faulty analysis and extreme bias. I would never recommended that a novice begin researching a particular topic by reading one of his books. --Dr. J

A recent, shorter work I like is Richmond Shall Not Be Given Up by Doug Crenshaw. It's part of the Emerging Civil War series.

I have not read the one recommended above, but it's on my list now.

I have read Sears and also read Clifford Dowdey's book on the campaigns. Sears book you know going into it he's going to crush McClellen, and Dowdey's is more dated and fawns all over Lee.

Back