Trivia Question 7-24-19

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW:REGISTER HERE!
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
I can find a number of sources indicating that a detachment including members of the 25th Missouri and 12th Michigan were sent on a scouting detail prior to the Battle of Shiloh, but none that identify the individual companies of the 12th Michigan or those companies' commanders.

I have no answer.

Soldier Boy

Private
There appears to be some ambiguity as to leaders as there could be several interpretations. It could mean who are the commanders of those companies or it could mean who led them on the scouting mission. I hope it is the latter. My answer would be Major James E. Powell ( 1st. U.S. Army Infantry detached to the 25th Missouri Infantry) and Captain Gilbert D. Johnson (12th Michigan Infantry Company H Commander)

Source: https://books.google.com/books?id=7_9IKUH3OXgC&printsec=frontcover&dq=the+battle+of+shiloh&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfrdC9vM7jAhXFQs0KHQlXAZMQ6AEILDAB#v=onepage&q=the battle of shiloh&f=false
pgs. 66-67: Col. Everett Peabody ordered them to muster five companies - some 400 men - from Powell's 25th Missouri and Johnson's 12th Michigan and find out what in hell was going on in the misty dews and damps beyond their encampment

Edit - You are correct that the question referred to "leaders" rather than "company commanders." Though Powell certainly did not command a company in the 12th Michigan, your source supports your claim that he was involved in leading them on the scouting mission, so your answer will be accepted as correct.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
According to Isaac Cravath, Captain of Co G, 12th Michigan, it was Capt Graves who led both companies in this action. I believe, since Cravath was there, and wrote this only a few months later, Ill take his word for it that there was only one person in command of both companies. :thumbsup:
Please change my answer to Captain Phineas Graves.
1564119873159.png

The Lansing State Republican., October 08, 1862, page 2.
The question says "Who were the leaders of those companies?" It doesn't say, "Who was in command of the reconnaissance-in-force?" or "Who were the Captains of those companies." If more than one "leader" is required for a correct response, I guess I will have to add Major James Powell, 25th Missouri, in command of the reconnaissance-in-force, to my answer above. Just to clarify, if, and only if, more than one "leader" is required, my answer then is Capt Phineas Graves & Maj James Powell. Otherwise, I'll take Captain Cravath at his word.

Edit - The question did require the names of more than one "leader." As indicated in the edit to Soldier Boy's post above, I am accepting Major James Powell as one of the leaders of the scouting mission, so you also get credit for a correct answer.

I would mention that I do give credit for answers that are supported by sources (provided, of course, that I agree that the source actually does support the answer). In your case, you submitted two earlier posts giving two different sources identifying Capt.Gilbert Johnson (who, as it happens, was an official correct answer) as the commander of one of the 12th Michigan companies involved in the scouting mission. You could have saved yourself a lot of trouble by sticking with that answer, instead of continuing to search until 2:00 AM to see if there might be any other sources that would make you want to change it.

hoosier

ami

Major General
Super Moderator
NSWER: Graves and Johnson

SOURCE: Wiley Sword, Shiloh: Bloody April

*hoosier the question credit is @hughes for some reason I guess when I clicked the tag it didn't work

Edit - After reviewing all the answers and sources submitted in support of those answers, I am accepting Graves and Cravath or Graves and Powell as correct answers.

hoosier

Status
Not open for further replies.