- Aug 16, 2015
1. Surgeon T. G. Richardson, assisted by Surgeons W. O. Hudson and J. C. Jones. His 63-day recovery was under the care of Dr. J. T. Darby.John Bell Hood was wounded in the leg at Chickamauga on September 20, 1863 resulting in a comminuted fracture which necessitated amputation.
1. Name the respected surgeon who performed the operation.
2. Which amputation technique/method was used - circular or flap method?
3. To whose residence was Hood taken after surgery?
2. Circular method.
3. After the amputation, Hood was transported to the home of Colonel Francis H. Little of the 11th Georgia Infantry, in the west Armuchee Valley in Northern Georgia.
<Stephen Hood, The Lost Papers of Confederate General John Bell Hood. (El Dorado Hills, CA: Savas Beatie, 2014 ), pp. 27-28).>