69th Irish Regimental Cocktail

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
The Regimental cocktail of the 69th is one part Irish Whiskey and 3 parts champagne. It was first made for General Thomas Francis Meagher when he was at Fredericksburg during the war. It is said he wanted his favorite drink which was whiskey and Vichy water. The Vichy water could not be found so they used champagne instead. Thus the Regimental Cocktail was born.

Last edited:
Interesting. That's the first time I hear about the Regimental Cocktail; I hadn't come across that story when researching Meagher.

Not sure the cocktail would be up to my taste, though. I found Whiskey to be too strong a drink for me, even after heavily diluting it with pure water.

Thanks for posting, Donna!

Some whiskey, arguably, should not be diluted or adulterated, but had "neat" or with some water perhaps. I don't get upset at people who want it "their way." I once served some Mexican colleagues a very nice single-malt Scotch whiskey, and when my back was turned I heard the clinking of ice cubes in glasses and thought "Noooo!" But then I thought well, what the heck, to each his own and to his own taste, as long as everyone enjoys it. I will say I recently had some Irish "yellow spot" whiskey and found it quite good. :smile coffee:

Some whiskey, arguably, should not be diluted or adulterated, but had "neat" or with some water perhaps. I don't get upset at people who want it "their way." I once served some Mexican colleagues a very nice single-malt Scotch whiskey, and when my back was turned I heard the clinking of ice cubes in glasses and thought "Noooo!" But then I thought well, what the heck, to each his own and to his own taste, as long as everyone enjoys it. I will say I recently had some Irish "yellow spot" whiskey and found it quite good. :smile coffee:

I’ve had the green spot (Cheaper version) and it’s a fine whiskey 🥃 The best Irish whiskey is The Middleton Rare unbelievable. The best bang for buck Irish whiskey these days is called Teelings. The owner had a big distillery in the country that was sold to Jim Bean so he started up a new distillery in Dublin City centre which is rare these days. I do like other whiskey my favourite US whiskey is Woodford Reserve delicious drink. I’m not fond of smoky scotch but some Scottish whiskey isn’t smokey and they have some good ones. I haven’t tried Japanese whiskey yet I’ve heard they have some great ones:

Yellow Spot is spot on.

I’ve had the green spot (Cheaper version) and it’s a fine whiskey 🥃 The best Irish whiskey is The Middleton Rare unbelievable. The best bang for buck Irish whiskey these days is called Teelings. The owner had a big distillery in the country that was sold to Jim Bean so he started up a new distillery in Dublin City centre which is rare these days. I do like other whiskey my favourite US whiskey is Woodford Reserve delicious drink. I’m not fond of smoky scotch but some Scottish whiskey isn’t smokey and they have some good ones. I haven’t tried Japanese whiskey yet I’ve heard they have some great ones:
The Japanese Whiskey I’ve had the pleasure of trying seem to be after the line of a single malt scotch.

The Irish Whiskey readily available here that’s considered good is Redbreast.

Although there is an adequate supply of Irish whiskey on hand here at Chez Cavalier, sadly there is no champagne! However, if it's good enough for General Thomas Francis Meagher, its good enough for the likes of us. That oversight will be corrected, and a ration of the "69th. Irish Regimental Cocktail" will be issued to all hands quartered here at the first opportunity. Thank you @donna.

John

Some of my lowland Fife shirt-tail relatives are fond of candied Scotch like Drambuie... My tastes run to Bunnahabhain Islay... I have friends that drink the über-peaty Laphroaig... not a taste I've acquired, or indeed am likely too. For Islay, I can't say I care much for Lagavulin either... I bestowed a bottle of Speyside Balvenie on friends at their wedding, which was well received.

I'll look out for that Middleton and Teelings you've mentioned.

Seems like a popular drink for many.

While we all objectively know that alcohol is a poison, and that it can cause a whole bunch of physical and social problems and ills, odd as it may sound to us today, whiskey was actually thought to be healthful and capable of giving the drinker strength. Since it was made from grain, it had to be good, in moderation no?

Back