6-16-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

ami

First Lady of CivilWarTalk
Super Moderator
Built in 1818, this building is a gray stucco mansion built in the neoclassical style. Robert Mills designed it for John Brockenbrough, president of the Bank of Virginia. Brockenbrough sold in 1844, and the house changed hands several times before being sold to the city.

What is this famous building and what is the street address?

credit: @gentlemanrob

Hah! I knew that (had to look up the address though)

1) The famous building is known as the "White House of the Confederacy"
2) The historic adress was: K Street (later renamed Clay Street) in Richmond's Shockoe Hill neighborhood. The modern street address is 1201 E Clay St, Richmond, VA 23219

1623851306483.png

https://aaregistry.org/story/the-white-house-of-the-confederacy-built/

Google Maps:
1623851384294.png

"The White House of the Confederacy" 1201 East Clay St, Richmond, Va.
Brockenbrough's second private residence in Richmond was built on K Street (later renamed Clay Street) in Richmond's affluent Shockoe Hill neighborhood (later known as the Court End District), and was two blocks north of the Virginia State Capitol.
source: https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/va0517/

1623863326271.png

According to the brochure I have from my first visit in 1964, "The Confederate Museum is conveniently located at Twelfth and Clay Streets in downtown Richmond, Virginia." The building is known today as the White House of the Confederacy in what was once but is no longer a quiet residential neighborhood, seen here in a period postcard and photo I took then before its restoration when it was still serving as the UDC's Confederate Museum.

1623863305858.png

1201 East Clay St.?

Edit - And yes, that's the address. Correct, Tommyg84. Welcome to the trivia game.

Hope you'll come back and play again. Note that this is not "Jeopardy" - your responses do not have to be phrased in the form of a question. :smile:

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back