Trivia 6-13-18 MOH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sgt. Everett W. Anderson, Co. M, 15th PA Cavalry.
Crosbys Creek, TN, January 14, 1864.
"Captured, single-handed, Confederate Brig. Gen. Robert B. Vance during a charge upon the enemy."

Source: http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detail/27/anderson-everett-w.php
(Unsure if they misspelled Cosby in the citation or if they referred to it as that during and after the engagement.)

Everett Anderson , Company M, 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry .
Captured, singlehandedly, Confederate Brig. Gen. Robert B. Vance during a charge upon the enemy.
anderson-everett.jpg

EVERETT W. ANDERSON

Rank and organization: Sergeant, Company M, 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry. Place and date: At Crosbys Creek, Tenn., 14 January 1864. Entered service at: Philadelphia, Pa. Birth: Louisiana. Date of issue: 3 December 1894. Citation: Captured, single-handed, Confederate Brig. Gen. Robert B. Vance during a charge upon the enemy.

Answer: Sergeant Everett W. Anderson, 15th PA Cavalry, captured Confederate Brig. Gen. Robert B. Vance

Source: http://www.lib.utk.edu/smokies/colloquy/colloquy.13.2.pdf

Edit - Players have submitted numerous sources to verify that Everett Anderson of the 15th PA Cavalry won the Medal of Honor for capturing Gen. Vance, though there is considerable disagreement among those sources as to whether the site of the capture was called Cosby Creek, Crosby Creek, or Crosby's Creek.

However, interestingly enough, the utk.edu source presented here in this post to support the official answer does not, as far as I can see - and I've read through it several times - make any mention of Sgt. Anderson. The only member of the 15th PA Cavalry mentioned in this source is Col. William Palmer.

As it happens, this is the same source that I came upon when I was trying to answer this question myself. So I looked to see if Col. Palmer had ever received the Medal of Honor and, in fact, he had. Although the citation indicates that the site of the action for which he received his medal was Red Hill, AL, I figured maybe that was somewhere in the vicinity of Cosby Creek, TN. So I assumed Palmer was the correct answer, since I didn't have the name of anybody else in the 15th PA.

I never count myself in the scoring, but I am going to give credit for a correct answer to nextcity, who is the only player who came up with the same answer I did, because the only Medal of Honor winner cited by name in the official source is Col. Palmer.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back