Trivia 5-20-19 Artistic Impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Born in February 1842, I am the artistic son of an artist father and mainly known for my paintings of Confederate battlements around Charleston Harbor. My parents and I lived in Rome, Italy when the war broke out, but as both Dad and I were fervently patriotic Virginians I returned that same year to the Confederate States and enlisted in Company D, Third Kentucky Infantry. I was wounded at Shiloh and saw action in Mississippi and Louisiana before my father requested my transfer to the Forty-Sixth Regular Virginia Volunteers. In September 1863 I was commissioned to create 31 drawings of the defenses of Charleston, SC as part of a campaign by General Beauregard to increase support for his ideas about the defense of the harbor in the Confederate government. In April 1864 I was granted a furlough to travel back to Italy and visit my ailing mother in Rome. While there I painted a series of 25 richly detailed pictures based on the sketches I had made in Charleston.
After the war I first travelled to Mexico, then spent some time in France and England. Finally I moved my family to Richmond where I sold 31 paintings to the then Confederate Memorial Literary Society, which later became the Museum of the Confederacy and is now the American Civil War Museum.
My last day on this earth was December 10, 1910 - fifty years to the day before the submitter of this question was born.

Who am I?

credit: @FarawayFriend

Credit for question.

I hope you found my guy quite easily...
1558360321672.png

Born in February 1842, I am the artistic son of an artist father and mainly known for my paintings of Confederate battlements around Charleston Harbor. My parents and I lived in Rome, Italy when the war broke out, but as both Dad and I were fervently patriotic Virginians I returned that same year to the Confederate States and enlisted in Company D, Third Kentucky Infantry. I was wounded at Shiloh and saw action in Mississippi and Louisiana before my father requested my transfer to the Forty-Sixth Regular Virginia Volunteers. In September 1863 I was commissioned to create 31 drawings of the defenses of Charleston, SC as part of a campaign by General Beauregard to increase support for his ideas about the defense of the harbor in the Confederate government. In April 1864 I was granted a furlough to travel back to Italy and visit my ailing mother in Rome. While there I painted a series of 25 richly detailed pictures based on the sketches I had made in Charleston.
After the war I first travelled to Mexico, then spent some time in France and England. Finally I moved my family to Richmond where I sold 31 paintings to the then Confederate Memorial Literary Society, which later became the Museum of the Confederacy and is now the American Civil War Museum.
My last day on this earth was December 10, 1910 - fifty years to the day before the submitter of this question was born.

Who am I?

credit: @FarawayFriend
Conrad W. Chapman (1842–1910).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back