3rd Mississippi Cavalry

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 5.04.41 AM.jpg


Books with 3rd Mississippi Cavalry mentioned in them.
 
Thank you for sharing
I didnt think to check Rowland's unit history for his name in the list of officers. He is an officer as Mike Serpa noted.
I also browsed the history text but I didnt see his name mentioned for any special recognition.
The history said this regiment was based out of North Mississippi in 1861-62 and reported to Adjutant General James Z. George who commanded the State militia.
I will see if I have a copy of Rowland's history— or can find one online.
 
I knew my Grandfather (my avatar photo) and his other brother both served. I just recently discovered this brother (Josiah). Perhaps because he had relocated to Mississippi and i never really looked much into anything but Gibson County Tennessee units I overlooked his service. Thank you for this incredible information.
 
For anyone who might be interested, I'm writing a definitive book on this regiment. And by definitive, I mean definitive. It is a very large book, much larger than I ever intended to write. I'm also looking for any information from families who might have letters, journals, photos, anything relating to 3rd MS. The official records are sparse, and so far there isn't one known photograph.
 
Last edited:
For anyone who might be interested, I'm writing a definitive book on this regiment. And by definitive, I mean definitive. It is a very large book, much larger than I ever intended to write. I'm also looking for any information from families who might have letters, journals, photos, anything relating to 3rd MS. The official records are sparse, and so far there isn't one known photograph.
 
Thank you. Unfortunately, archive.org has nearly nothing about 3rd MS Cavalry, it's all the infantry regiment of the same name. I have scraped every last possible secondary source, and am hoping to find unknown letters, diaries and the like. So far all I have is from Private William Decatur Howell. There's no identified photo of any regiment member, or the battle flag. Edit: did turn up a couple of minor additional details, which help. Thanks again!
 
Last edited:

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top