3rd Michigan Cavalry captain

Ethan S.

First Sergeant
I think I's like to start off with my only photograph of an Identified Civil War soldier. Captain Davis Collins, of the 3rd. Michigan Cavalry, Company K. His own handwriting, as the handwriting of another man are on the back of the photo.

scan0005.jpg
scan0006.jpg

I'd like to ask a question or two, as I am not as well educated on uniforms and accouterments as I am projectiles. Is that a model 1840 "wristbreaker" saber? He has something that looks like a Hardee hat on the table beside him. Are the emblems original to the hat? They look kind of odd to me. All in all, a cool photo.

I think I's like to start off with my only photograph of an Identified Civil War soldier. Captain Davis Collins, of the 3rd. Michigan Cavalry, Company K. His own handwriting, as the handwriting of another man are on the back of the photo.

View attachment 321759View attachment 321760

I'd like to ask a question or two, as I am not as well educated on uniforms and accouterments as I am projectiles. Is that a model 1840 "wristbreaker" saber? He has something that looks like a Hardee hat on the table beside him. Are the emblems original to the hat? They look kind of odd to me. All in all, a cool photo.
That is a nice image. That does appear to be a Hardee hat. Officers both north and south supplied their own uniforms so you'd see some variations there like the hat badges. They were probably private purchases and not standard issue like you'd see on enlisted uniforms. For me it's hard to tell without seeing the whole saber whether it's a Wristbreaker or a M1860 cavalry saber. I'm leaning more toward a M1860 but I could be wrong.

" The squadron is forming, the war bugles play,
To saddle brave comrades stout hearts to display,
Our commander is mounted, strike spurs and away "

Seems a shame not to point out one of those poignant poems from the era on the back. Both sides of the image are awesome, thanks for posting!
It kind of figures us ladies would be more interested in the poetry than the uniform and accouterments. :smile: Here's the other poem on the back.
"Stand by the flag on land and ocean billow
by it your fathers stood, unmoved and true.
Living, defended -- dying, from their pillow,
with their last blessing, passed it to you."

Back