3rd Bunting Confederate Battle Flag

zburkett

Sergeant Major
Does anyone know where I can get a good quality 3rd Bunting Battle Flag? I am less concerned with size than with accuracy. It is for my 8th Alabama display. The 8th had battle streamers that were given to them and that survived the war. Does anyone have any idea if they are still somewhere. I would like to add them to the display.

To be honest only a few units used the Confederate battle flag. That's it and even other Confederate units used their own battle flags (Van Dorn and Missouri) or had none at all.

To be honest only a few units such as 3rd Bunting you mentioned used the Confederate battle flag. That's it and even other Confederate units used their own battle flags (Van Dorn and Missouri) or had none at all.

Thanks. During the winter of 63/64 The 8th Alabama sent their old battle flag to the Governor of Alabama and were issued new flags. At Appomattox they tore the flag up rather than surrender it. They had been given streamers by Miss Nina Cave, one of the beauties of the plantation that they were wintering on. The streamers were saved by the color bearer. The Battle Flags of both the 6th and 5th Alabama survive and are both third bunting. Therefore I will assume that the flag of the 8th was third bunting. My farm is part of what was once the Cave plantation and I have a small memorial to the 8th in my living room. I would like a flag to add to the memorial. In this case, a new flag is appropriate because it would have still been new when they marched out of here to the Wilderness.

To be honest only a few units used the Confederate battle flag. That's it and even other Confederate units used their own battle flags (Van Dorn and Missouri) or had none at all.
Actually many units in the ANV were issued the 3rd Bunting Issue. The Richmond Depot was the main supplier of flags for the Lee's army and the 3rd Bunting was issued out from about fall of 1862 to spring of 64. The square Richmond Depot pattern was what most of the regiments in the ANV were using from mid to late war.

The AoT and other commands in the Western Theater started to use a rectangular Confederate Battle Flag or "St. Andrew's Cross" design by 1864 after Joe Johnston standardized the army's battle flag, with the exception of a few units like Cleburne's Division which was allowed to maintain the Hardee flag.

Actually many units in the ANV were issued the 3rd Bunting Issue. The Richmond Depot was the main supplier of flags for the Lee's army and the 3rd Bunting was issued out from about fall of 1862 to spring of 64. The square Richmond Depot pattern was what most of the regiments in the ANV were using from mid to late war.

The AoT and other commands in the Western Theater started to use a rectangular Confederate Battle Flag or "St. Andrew's Cross" design by 1864 after Joe Johnston standardized the army's battle flag, with the exception of a few units like Cleburne's Division which was allowed to maintain the Hardee flag.
I was simply acknowledging there were other units that did use that flag however I noted that other battle flags were used by other Confederate units and some had not flag at all.

UCV, the second bunting had orange bunting around it. They ran out of orange and had to use white bunting on the third issue. It also seem that the cross is a bit narrower on the third issue.

Does anyone know where I can get a good quality 3rd Bunting Battle Flag? I am less concerned with size than with accuracy. It is for my 8th Alabama display. The 8th had battle streamers that were given to them and that survived the war. Does anyone have any idea if they are still somewhere. I would like to add them to the display.
If you can wait, the Richmond Show (July?) always has a few flag people...…..

The Middle Tennessee Civil War Show is a 2 day event being held from 7th December to 8th December 2019 at the AG Expo Park in Franklin, TN.

There are usually reproduction flag makers at this show.

There may be a list of exibitors on their website.

Back