Trivia 3-31-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • On April 15, 1861 Lincoln called for troops.
  • The 2nd version of the Confederate flag had 13 stars, representing: South Carolina (December 20, 1860), Mississippi(January 9, 1861), Florida (January 10,1861), Alabama (January 11, 1861), Georgia (January 19, 1861), Louisiana (January 26, 1861), Texas (February 1, 1861), Virginia (April 17, 1861), Arkansas (May 6, 1861), Tennessee (May 7, 1861), North Carolina (May 21, 1861). Efforts to secede failed in Kentucky and Missouri though those states were represented by two of the stars.
  • But according to Secretary of War Simon Cameron only the following states were requested to send troops:
"The quota to each state is as follows: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Delaware, Arkansas, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota, one regiment each; New York 17 regiments; Pennsylvania, 15 regiments; Ohio, 13; New Jersey, Maryland, Kentucky, Missouri, four regiments each; Illinois and Indiana, six regiments each; Virginia, three regiments."

So my answer is: the following 4 states:
  • Virginia
  • Arkansas
  • Kentucky
  • Missouri
Source:

Kentucky. Missouri. Virginia. Tennessee.

Edit - I'm accepting answers of either four (KY, MO, VA, and AR) or six (KY, MO, VA, AR, NC, and TN) as completely correct.

You got three of the four. Using my newly-granted power, I'm giving you five points credit.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused. I am going with 2, Arkansas and Virginia. Final answer.

The mustering officers will be instructed to receive no man under the rank of commissioned officer who is apparently over 45 or under 18 years, or who is not in physical strength and vigor. The quota to each state is as follows: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Delaware, Arkansas, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota, one regiment each; New York 17 regiments; Pennsylvania, 15 regiments; Ohio, 13; New Jersey, Maryland, Kentucky, Missouri, four regiments each; Illinois and Indiana, six regiments each; Virginia, three regiments.
It is ordered that each regiment shall consist of an aggregate of officers and men of 1,780 men.

StateDate of Secession
South CarolinaDecember 20, 1860
MississippiJanuary 9, 1861
FloridaJanuary 10, 1861
AlabamaJanuary 11, 1861
GeorgiaJanuary 19, 1861
LouisianaJanuary 26, 1861
TexasFebruary 1, 1861
States succeeded after 4/15/61

VirginiaApril 17, 1861
ArkansasMay 6, 1861
North CarolinaMay 20, 1861
TennesseeJune 8, 1861

Edit - Response revised in subsequent post.

hoosier

Darn it, deeper I dig. Confederate flag had 13 stars. 11 for the seceded states and one each for Missouri and Kentucky. So 4 states that Lincoln called for troops ended up with a star on the confederate flag.

Missouri
Kentucky
Virginia
Arkansas

Absolute final answer, tricky question.

Sorry for my tricky question on Ewell starting the hog conversation. Jackson said it but Ewell started it. I hate trick questions and I violated my own rule.

Don't know about the others, but that was the final straw that pushed Arkansas from anti-secession and wait-and-see to full-blown they can't do that to the South go get em! Even then, most of Arkansas was still of a home-guard mentality, not much interested in pursuing war with the Union anywhere other than keeping them off the home ground.

Edit - You're right about Arkansas, but a correct answer would have needed to name more.

hoosier

Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri

Not to be pedantic, but Lincoln's Proclamation doesn't name any states. The list of states and their required contribution was set forth by the Secretary of War, Simon Cameron. That list included Arkansas and Virginia, both of which would have stars on the CSA flag.

Edit - Cameron also called for troops from Kentucky and Missouri, which eventually had stars on the Confederate flag, even though they never officially seceded.

hoosier

Kentuky Misouri Maryland tenesee

Edit - Sorry, Tadstrad, Maryland was never represented by a star on the Confederate flag. The other three were correct.

According to what I can find, this appears to be the first post you've entered on CivilWarTalk, so welcome to the website and to the trivia game.

We've just started a new game for April, so I hope you'll come back and play again. If you haven't done so already, you're also invited to stop by the New Recruits Meet & Greet forum and introduce yourself to some more CivilWarTalkers.

hoosier

Tennessee; governor Isham Harris
Kentucky; governor Beriah Magoffin
Virginia; governor John Letcher
Arkansas; governor Henry Rector
Missouri; governor Claiborne Fox Jackson

Edit - You got five out of the six, so I'm going to give you five points credit.

hoosier

Right off the bat, I'd say North Carolina, Virginia and Tennessee. The other three can be questioned as to whether they really did secede or not, and that would be Arkansas, Kentucky and Missouri.

Hurts my head to think this hard so early in the morning.

--RoadHeadache

Edit - You got the right six states. Arkansas definitely did secede, but the question didn't ask which ones seceded and which ones didn't, so you get credit for a correct answer.

Welcome to the trivia game, RoadDog. A new game for April is just starting. Hope you'll come back and play again.

hoosier

Arkansas, Kentucky (has star on Confederate Flag but did not secede), Missouri (has star on Confederate Flag but did not secede), North Carolina, Tennessee, Virgina.

I'm going to say there were four of them: Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Arkansas.

Edit - I was thinking there were only eleven stars on the Confederate flag, and for a brief time that was true, but the question asked about states which "eventually" had stars on the Confederate flag, so that includes Kentucky and Missouri, which had stars on the final versions of the flag, even though they never officially seceded.

hoosier

Last edited:
Answer
Missouri, Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Arkansas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_Lincoln%27s_75,000_volunteers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

Edit - Yikes! So many different answers.

I note that the question asked about states from which Lincoln requested "divisions" to be raised, and I don't think his proclamation mentions the word "divisions" at all, but I don't think any players were misled by this.

The official answer assumes that Lincoln's call was intended for the governor of every state other than the seven that had already seceded. So those six states fall under the general terms of Lincoln's call.

However, as has been pointed out by the players, Lincoln's call said that the details would be communicated through the War Department. When you get down to the specifics, the details sent out by Secretary of War Simon Cameron listed specific numbers of regiments from specific states - and Tennessee and North Carolina were not included in Cameron's list. Virginia, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Missouri were included, and all of those eventually had a star on the 13-star Confederate flag, so I am accepting that answer.

By the way, Cameron apparently wasn't very good at math. He asked for a total of 87 regiments, with each regiment to consist of 1,780 men, and somehow concluded that that came to a total of 73,910 men.

No wonder Lincoln got rid of him less than a year later.

hoosier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back