Trivia 3-15-17 Identify

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are Thomas P. "Boston" Corbett.
Your claim to fame is that you shot (and killed) John Wilkes Booth, the assassin of President Abraham Lincoln.
Your fervent religious behaviour (OMG; you castrated yourself with a pair of scissors to avoid sexual temptation!!!) earned you your nickname "Glory to God Man"

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Boston_Corbett&oldid=769631130

I never enter these contests, but since the photo is of an immigrant, I decided to offer my own answer. The photo is of Thomas P. Corbett. He is famous for mortally wounding John Wilkes Booth. His nickname is "Boston".

Although sometimes portrayed as a madman or a villain, at the time the men with him defended his actions. They believed that Booth was likely to shoot one of the troopers who had cornered him. Stanton had Corbett arrested, but released him saying “the rebel is dead, the patriot lives.” Corbett had worked as a hatter and he did later diappear, leading to the speculation that he suffered from mercury poisoning. A religious man, he famously castrated himself to preserve himself from the temptations to sin. "boston" was an immigrant from England.

Corbett served under another immigrant. Canadian-born Irish immigrant Lieutenant Edward Dougherty led the 26 cavalrymen who found Booth.

Guessing all the way, I will say this man's name was Joe Smith.

His claim to fame was having the straightest part up the middle of his hair of any soldier in either army.

Noting the three chevrons on his sleeve, I'll guess his nickname was Sarge. :nah disagree:

Last edited:
Answer: 1. Boston Corbett
I shot John Wilkes Booth
Lincoln's Avenger

the nickname seems subjective, so we will defer to hoosier.

Edit - Sources show that "Glory to God Man" was also a nickname used by Corbett, so clearly that is an acceptable answer to the third part of the question.

A number of players gave "Thomas Corbett" as their answer to the first part of the question and "Boston" as their answer to the third part, i.e., his nickname.

The Wikipedia article on Corbett begins by stating his name as Thomas P. "Boston" Corbett. Customarily, if you see a Wikipedia article that states someone's name in this manner, the name in quotation marks is the person's nickname. For an example, see the Wikipedia article on George Herman "Babe" Ruth. For that reason, I will accept answers saying that Boston was Corbett's nickname.

However, I do want to point out that if you read the whole Wikipedia article, it states that Corbett, after his religious conversion, changed his name from Thomas to Boston - which means that he wanted people to consider Boston to be his real name, not his nickname. A number of other sources also make this point.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back