Trivia 3-11-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Joined
Mar 21, 2012
Before the war I was a graduate of the University of Virginia. After graduation I was a Professor at University of North Carolina. I helped classify a collection of rocks. I helped teach students at University of North Carolina the military arts. I started the war as Captain and ended the war with the rank of Colonel. I was wounded four times. After the war I helped found a high school in Tennessee. I next served Davidson College as a Professor and on the Administrative level before my retirement. Who am I and what regiment was I Colonel of?

credit: @gentlemanrob
 
1) You are William Joseph Martin
2) Your regiment was the 11th North Carolina Infantry

1583931875816.png


1583932524726.png

From:
The 11th North Carolina Infantry in the Civil War: A History and Roster
von William Thomas Venner

Source
 
William Joseph Martin - 28th North Carolina

Martin joined Company G, composed of Orange County men, Twenty-eighth Regiment of North Carolina Troops, on 2 Sept. 1861. In April 1862 he was promoted to the rank of major and in May was transferred to the Eleventh Regiment as a lieutenant colonel.

Martin source

Edit - Response revised in post # 9.

hoosier
 
Last edited by a moderator:
William Joseph Martin.
Started his service as Captain of G Company 28th N.C, promoted in April 1862 and transferred to 11th North Carolina as Lt. Colonel and Colonel from April 1864.
.
 
Before the war I was a graduate of the University of Virginia. After graduation I was a Professor at University of North Carolina. I helped classify a collection of rocks. I helped teach students at University of North Carolina the military arts. I started the war as Captain and ended the war with the rank of Colonel. I was wounded four times. After the war I helped found a high school in Tennessee. I next served Davidson College as a Professor and on the Administrative level before my retirement. Who am I and what regiment was I Colonel of?

credit: @gentlemanrob
William J. Martin (1830-1896), 11th North Carolina Infantry.
 
Before the war I was a graduate of the University of Virginia. After graduation I was a Professor at University of North Carolina. I helped classify a collection of rocks. I helped teach students at University of North Carolina the military arts. I started the war as Captain and ended the war with the rank of Colonel. I was wounded four times. After the war I helped found a high school in Tennessee. I next served Davidson College as a Professor and on the Administrative level before my retirement. Who am I and what regiment was I Colonel of?

credit: @gentlemanrob

William J Martin

11th North Carolina
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top