Trivia 2-6-20 Execution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
More soldiers were executed during the Civil War than all other wars combined. Who was the first Union volunteer/soldier that was executed, what state was he in when he was executed, and what was he convicted of?

credit: @SWMODave

More soldiers were executed during the Civil War than all other wars combined. Who was the first Union volunteer/soldier that was executed, what state was he in when he was executed, and what was he convicted of?

I don't whether the list is complete or not but the link below should be helpful.

Edit - For those who may have found it, this link would have been helpful, in that it lists the correct name and offense right at the top. It would have required some more research, however, to find the name of the correct state, since this link doesn't seem to have included that information.

A reminder to all players that answers must be stated in your own words. A link may be used to support your answer, but may not be your answer.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
1) John W. Cole, 1st Kansans Infantry
2) He was executed in camp near Little York at Pond Springs, Greene County, Missouri
3) Murder

Sources:

1580995118944.png

According to my 1st source:
1. Who was the 1st Union volunteer/soldier executed: John W. Cole (in 2nd source Jos.N Cole)
2. What state was he in when he was executed: I’ll go with Missouri - from my 2nd source taken from a newspaper article with the heading “With the First Kansas, dated Camp Lyon, Henry Co., Missouri, July 9, 1861; published July 19, 1861, and tells of the stabbing death of one Michael Stein (sp?) by a young man by the name of Cole”. Cole was tried, convicted and faced a firing squad (5 balls striking him near the heart). The date - July 14, 1861 (page 230/231)
3. What was he convicted of: Murder
http://genealogytrails.com/ohio/athens/civil_war_soldiers_executed.htm
https://www.kshs.org/publicat/history/1993winter_hatcher.pdf

John W.Cole. 1st Kansas Infantry
What state was he in when executed? Probably Terrified but I'll go with Kansas
Shot by firing squad for Murder

Edit - I like your alternative answer of "probably terrified," but Cole was not executed in Kansas.

hoosier

More soldiers were executed during the Civil War than all other wars combined...

No.

Edit - According to the source provided by the author of the question, the introductory statement was in error. The source indicated that more soldiers were executed during the Civil War than "in any other war" - not "in all other wars combined."

That doesn't invalidate the question that was asked.

hoosier

John W. Cole, 1st Kansas Infantry, found guilty of murder, was executed by firing squad in Missouri on July 14, 1861.

Who was the first Union volunteer/soldier that was executed? Joseph W. Cole, Private, 1st Kansas Infantry.
What state was he in when he was executed? Near Springfield, Missouri, on July 14, 1861.
What was he convicted of? The murder of Michael Stein.

I've also seen sources list the names as John W. Cole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back