Trivia 2-4-19 Identify

Status
Not open for further replies.
James B. Steedman

Postbellum:

After resigning his commission from the U.S. Army, Steedman returned home to Ohio in 1866. During the administration of U.S. President Andrew Johnson, he was the collector of internal revenue at New Orleans, Louisiana, until 1869. He again returned to Toledo, became the editor of the town's Northern Ohio Democrat newspaper, and in 1870 he was elected to the Ohio State Senate.
In May 1883 he was appointed the Chief of Police in Toledo, a post he held until his death. Steedman died in Toledo, and is buried there in Woodlawn Cemetery.

a8802cd5fdbe5e47aac5b52f36fcd110--battle-of-fredericksburg-union-army.jpg

I believe this is the guy, and I saw this CDV of 5 or 6 sites identified as John Reynolds. I think it is Joseph J. Reynolds. The closest I could come to an ID.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maj. Gen. James B. Steedman (1817-1883). The printer and politician had fought in the Texas Revolution and served as Maj. Gen. in Ohio's militia. He raised the 14th Ohio Infantry Regiment, a 3-months unit, and then served as brigade and division commander in the west; notably at Chickamauga and, leading a strong provisional detachment, at Nashville. After the war he served, among other things, as Police Chief of Toledo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back