Insignia 1st Michigan Engineer insignia.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
So what about this insignia? This image was in Military Images March/April 2001. Would have it been worn on the cap? I do not think company insignias like this were common during the Civil War.

mich e.jpg

There are images of the badges being worn on their hats . I'm sure you are familiar with the regiment's monument at the state capitol in Lansing .

So what about this insignia? This image was in Military Images March/April 2001. Would have it been worn on the cap? I do not think company insignias like this were common during the Civil War.

View attachment 344655
Seeing the pin type on the reverse would help a great deal in identification, as would a size. I suspect from the shape that it may well be the header pin to a reunion ribbon of the unit rather than wartime hat brass.

Seeing the pin type on the reverse would help a great deal in identification, as would a size. I suspect from the shape that it may well be the header pin to a reunion ribbon of the unit rather than wartime hat brass.

That is a possibility.

View attachment 344655
I would suspect that this is a post war badge, there are plenty of pictures of this regiment in the field with the standard engineering castle on the cap.

Back