1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

19th Century maps?

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by Shermanwasaterrorist, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Shermanwasaterrorist

Shermanwasaterrorist Private

Anyone know of an app or service that can take ACW period maps and transpose over modern maps?

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. jgoodguy

jgoodguy Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

I take a Photoshop type app, Gimp in my case because it is free, there are others. I copy the main map. Then the period map as a layer. I make make the period map layer semi transparent the modern map is visible underneath. Adjust the size and rotate the period map layer until landmarks line up. Time consuming but free.

4. AndyHall

AndyHall Colonel Forum Host

I commonly use Google Earth for this. It's not automatic, and it takes some practice, but it's very effective. Google Earth is a free application (you can only use this feature on the desktop version, AFAIK), and you have to have a digital copy of the historic map to overlay.

A quick example, here's the Washington Navy Yard plan from 1866 overlaid on the site today:

Navy Yard.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    KeithA, infomanpa, Waterloo50 and 4 others like this.
  5. pfcjking

pfcjking Sergeant Major

That's why you get paid to do this and I don't.

jgoodguy likes this.
  6. AndyHall

AndyHall Colonel Forum Host

I get paid to do this? Somebody owes me a lot of money, then. :bounce:

dlofting and jgoodguy like this.
  7. jgoodguy

jgoodguy Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

Youtube Tutorial

KeithA and AndyHall like this.
  8. CheathamHill

CheathamHill First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

There is an app called Maprika that does EXACTLY this. And uses your GPS to show you where you currently are on those maps. It's invaluable. I use it every single day.

9. infomanpa

infomanpa Sergeant

Google Earth is the way to go. I do it all the time. It's essential to be able to understand the battlefield while visiting.

10. mofederal

mofederal 2nd Lieutenant Member of the Month

It works for me. I have never tried this, but I guess I would try it now. Thanks for the information!

Shermanwasaterrorist likes this.
  11. Shermanwasaterrorist

Shermanwasaterrorist Private

This actually worked out pretty good. I actually was a graphic designer in the good old days (early photoshop, Adobe illustrator etc.). I have tried Google Earth® with a combo of layering period maps using Photoshop and illustrator but, the maps I had found online pixelated horrendously. Found .tiff files on LOC and they are matching up pretty good. I feel pretty confident I have pinpointed multiple campsites, ghost towns etc. Of Sherman's March to The Sea specifically the Milledgeville to Ft. McAllister segments. My hunt is still on for an area on Northern side of Ogeechee River either in Bulloch County/Screven County GA named Paris Academy. If you or anyone are able to pinpoint it better yet provide any information on what "Paris Academy" was? Community? School? I have spent hours researching it but, no luck with any info.

infomanpa, AndyHall and mofederal like this.
  12. KeithA

KeithA Private

Its mentioned here?
    books.google.com/books?id=_zGxABgGulsC&pg=PA329&lpg=PA329&dq=paris+academy+Georgia&source=bl&ots=oAtmDnjZER&sig=FKWhvQg3y63_BuWx28QZi5uJWYw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiRmO-DuMbWAhVCr1QKHbwjBnYQ6AEIbTAO#v=onepage&q=paris%20academy%20Georgia

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)