1769...Coffee Eggs.

Waterloo50

Major
This recipe was apparently quite popular during the 1700s. I’d be interested to know if anyone still makes this.

Recipe.

You will need some small moulds, something about the size of an egg cup should do, make sure that your moulds are suitable for the oven.

Six Egg yolks.
A pot of strong black coffee (you will need about 2 ounces of coffee per egg yolk) The coffee should be warm, not hot.
Brown Sugar to taste.

Whisk the six eggs in a mixing bowl, add in the coffee whilst mixing and then add in the sugar, give everything a good mix. there’s no set amount of sugar but the idea is to add enough to just sweeten it.
it’s a good idea to add a small amount of butter to each mould, this will help to release the coffee eggs when they are cooked.
Pour the mixture into the moulds and place them on to a tray, place them into the oven for about half an hour at 300 degrees F.
You will have to keep an eye on them, you’re looking for the mixture to solidify, they should have the same type of texture as jelly. Once they have cooled down you can tip them onto your plate.
They are apparently very nice served with a mint leaf.

Bon appetite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out Townsends on YouTube. They do 18th and early 19th century recipes , clothing , etc . They did coffee eggs recently.
That’s where I found the recipe, problem is that I couldn’t post a link because of strict copyright, I did however manage to find a number of recipes for coffee egg, it’s such a basic recipe that I may give it a try.

Back