141st PVI

ARW

Sergeant
I searched and did not find much on this regiment. It was raised mostly in Bradford Co with 3 companies from Wayne and Susquehanna. My interest has been because I had a Great Grandfather, his brother, his uncle, and a couple other Great Uncles and cousins from other lines. A couple served through the war others were released because of wounds or illness. One 3x cousin was KIA in the Peach Orchard at Gettysburg. They were attached to the Army of the Potomac throughout the conflict which found them in places like Fredricksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Cold Harbor and Petersburg.
Hoping that others had ancestors in this regiment to get this going and compare notes.

DSCN0285.JPG

The monument states: mustered in August-September 1862, mustered out May 28, 1865. Total enrollment 1,040. Killed, died of wounds - 6 officers, 144 [enlisted] men. Died of disease - 3 officers, 88 men. Wounded - 23 officers, 426 men. Missing - 106 men.

Some sources, particularly pertaining to Gettysburg:
-History of the One Hundred Forty-First Regiment, 1862-1865, by David Craft, chaplain of the regiment (Towanda, PA: Reporter-Journal Printing Co., 1885.
-Our Boys in Blue, Heroic Deeds, Sketches and Reminiscences, by Clement F. Heverly (Towanda, PA: The Bradford Star Print, 1898), vol. 1.
-Pennsylvania at Gettysburg, Ceremonies at the Dedication of the Monuments Erected by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (Harrisburg, PA: Wm. Stanley Ray, State Printer, 1904), vol. II, 685-686.
-History of Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-5, by Samuel P. Bates (Harrisburg, PA: B. Singerly, State Printer, 1869-1871), vol. IV, pp. 439-440.
-Personal Reminiscences of the War, by Rev. J. D. Bloodgood, late sergeant, Co. I, 141st Pa. Vols. (New York: Hunt & Eaton, 1893).
-Quill of the Wild Goose, Civil War Letters and Diaries of Private Joel Molyneux, 141st P.V., ed. by Kermit Molyneux Bird (Shippensburg, PA: Beidel Printing House, Inc., 1996).

Major Israel Putnam Spalding was mortally wounded at Gettysburg. Col. Benjamin H. Humphreys of the 21st Mississippi had him carried to the rear, where a surgeon dressed his wounds and set a pail of water next to him for keeping the bandages wet. The Confederates treated him very kindly. A member of Carlton's Battery spoke with him on July 3: "Our fire [on July 2], as described by the major of the 141st P.V., whom I saw the next day, wounded and a prisoner, was the most terrific he had ever seen, and the mortality in the brigade to which he belonged (supporting the batteries) very great." [-Andrew W. Reese, Pvt., Troup Artillery, Southern Banner, Athens, Georgia, August 26, 1863]. Spalding was left behind to be recaptured, and was cared for by his brother and others from Towanda until his death on July 28. He was buried in Wysox, PA on August 2.

When Kershaw's brigade advanced toward the Peach Orchard, the 141st occupied the lane afterwards known as the Wheatfield Road. It moved forward to the southern edge of the Peach Orchard, flanked by the 3rd Maine and 3rd Michigan and helped drive off Kershaw's left regiments. When Barksdale advanced, the 141st was quickly moved back and arrived in position just north of the Wheatfield Road and east of the Wentz place when it was struck by the much larger 17th Mississippi. The 141st was soon routed after a heavy loss and driven from the field.

Back