11th Texas Cavalry

woodymcgehee

Cadet
Trying to locate information, diaries, official reports, first-hand accounts of battles of the 11th Texas Cavalry, as well as specifically company C if possible.

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
I'm afraid I can't answer your question, Woody, but welcome to CivilWarTalk.

You entered your post in a section of the forums that gets very little attention. You might have better luck finding someone who might be able to help you if you repeat your post in the Civil War History Discussion forum.

Rusk County Avengers

1st Lieutenant
Trying to locate information, diaries, official reports, first-hand accounts of battles of the 11th Texas Cavalry, as well as specifically company C if possible.

Well first off welcome to CWT! I can't be too much of help on first-hand accounts, but I'm sure there's memoirs from at least one of the men in that regiment somewhere. As for Official Reports, you'll probably find stuff on them in the Official Records of the War. I recommend looking at the index first of an issue, all are available online if you can't get to your local library here:

http://simmonsgames.com/research/authors/USWarDept/ORA/Volumes.html

I'd start with these issues first:
Series 1, Volume XIII
Series 1, Volume XXII Parts one and two
Series 1, Volume XXXIV Parts one, two, three and four
Series 1, Volume XLI, Parts one through four
Series 1, Volume XLVIII, Parts one and two

And I'm sure more. If I remember right the 11th spent a lot of time in Indian Territory and stayed in the Trans-Mississippi, hence my recommendations. Its a lot of material to sift through, but just look at the index in the pdf's near the bottom under "Texas Regiments" and I'm sure you'll find a lot of good information in the reports and correspondence.

A. Roy

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Welcome to CivilWarTalk, @woodymcgehee! Your mention of the 11th Texas Cavalry got my attention, as it connects with a local story here in Raleigh, NC. At the end of the war, on 13 April 1865, Sherman's army began entering the city from the east, as the last of Gen Joseph Wheeler's cavalry were pulling out and heading west. The city had surrendered, but a final few cavalry troops were lingering in the city, and one of them emptied his pistol at the advancing Union cavalry under Gen Judson Kilpatrick. This combatant in what I call (tongue in cheek) the Battle of Raleigh was a Lieutenant Robert Walsh of the 11th Texas Cavalry.

I've been interested in knowing more about this regiment, but haven't been sure whether this would be the same group that started the war as the 11th Texas, given the reorganizations and consolidations that sometimes took place.

Anyway, if you want to read more of this story, take a look at this previous thread on the topic:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/site-of-the-battle-of-raleigh-fayetteville-st-raleigh-nc.172390/
Roy B.