Trivia 11-8-19 & Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
main: The North Atlantic Blockading Squadron’s responsibilities were the coasts of Virginia and North Carolina and the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron watched the coast from South Carolina to Key West. So I guess the dividing line would be the Southern border of North Carolina and Northern border of South Carolina.
source--www.essentialcivilwarcurriculum.com/the-union-blockade-of-the-southern-states.html
bonus: to follow

During the summer of 1861 a four-person board, chaired by Captain Samuel F. DuPont, was formed to study the implementation of the Union blockade and make recommendations to improve its efficiency. In the board’s report of July 16, 1861 it was recommended that the Atlantic region be divided into northern and southern sectors. On September 18, 1861 the Navy Department reached the decision to implement this division with the dividing line being the border between North Carolina and South Carolina.

bonus:
Lysander Cutler

1573235552247.png

What was the dividing line between the two blockading areas of the US Navy on the East Coast?

credit: @sarladaise

bonus:

Before the War I owned my own woolen mill before the depression hurt my business. I then worked as a claim’s investigator in Wisconsin. I served as a General of a brigade at Gettysburg. After the war my life was short. Who am I?

credit: @gentlemanrob
Main Question : On July 16, 1861 a recommendation was made to split the Atlantic Blockading Squadron into northern and southern sectors. On September 18, 1861 the Navy Department reached the decision to implement this division with the dividing line being the border between North Carolina and South Carolina.

2. Bonus: BG Lysander Cutler, 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 1st Corps, Army of The Potomac. Cutler's woolen mill, built in 1843 burned to the ground in 1853; he was ruined financially in the depression of 1857 and moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. There he worked as a claims investigator for a mining company. After Gettysburg, Cutler was badly wounded in the Battle of Globe Tavern , August 21, 1864 being wounded in the face by a shell fragment, which disfigured his face. He resigned from the army June 30, 1865 and died of a stroke July 30, 1866, which doctors attributed to complications from his Globe Tavern wounds.

Main question: I found a site which indicates that the blockade initially covered the Southern states from South Carolina to Texas and was later extended to cover Virginia and North Carolina.

Therefore, my answer to the question is that the dividing line on the East Coast was the North Carolina/South Carolina border.

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/articles/blockade

Bonus: Looks like we have a repeat of a question that was previously asked.

The answer is Lysander Cutler.

Last edited:
What was the dividing line between the two blockading areas of the US Navy on the East Coast?

credit: @sarladaise

bonus:

Before the War I owned my own woolen mill before the depression hurt my business. I then worked as a claim’s investigator in Wisconsin. I served as a General of a brigade at Gettysburg. After the war my life was short. Who am I?

credit: @gentlemanrob

Not sure if I'm doing this right, but here it goes. Question 1-I think the name was the Eastern Theater and Question 2-Bonus-I think it is Cadwallader Washburn.

Edit - Carol, as far as following the correct procedure, you did fine. Fridays we generally have two questions, a main question and a bonus, and if you give the correct answers for both of them, you score 20 points. If you give the correct answer for one but not the other, you score 10 points.

Unfortunately, in this case neither answer is correct. The Eastern Theater referred to action on land rather than at sea. As for Washburn, though he did own mills and was a general, he was in the Vicksburg area at the time of the Battle of Gettysburg, and I can find no reference to his being a claims investigator.

Welcome to the trivia game, anyway. Hope you'll come back and play again.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
"The dividing line between these two squadrons was the boundary between North and South Carolina."

Bonus:
Lysander Cutler

Key West Florida was the dividing point between the Gulf Blockading Squadron and the Atlantic Blockading Squadron Source

BONUS:
Lysander Cutler (16 February 1807 – 30 July 1866) Source

Edit - Your statement is correct, but the question asked about the dividing line between blockading areas on the East Coast, rather than the line between the Gulf Squadron and the Atlantic Squadron.

hoosier

The border between North and South Carolina

http://thomaslegion.net/the_civil_war_blockade_history.html

bonus
Answer: Brigadier General Lysander Cutler

Edit - The source supplied for the official answer to the main question actually names both the border between North and South Carolina and Cape Fear (which is pretty close to that border) as the dividing line between the two areas of the East Coast blockade, so both of these are acceptable answers.

hoosier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back