1-15-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
I was born in Shepherdstown, Now WV in 1815. I was a farmer and agriculture enthusiast. I also was fascinated with politics and in 1860 I became the National Secretary for the Constitution Party. When War Broke out, My son and I both enlisted with the CSA, however, most of my contributions to the war effort were political. after the war I remained active in my community and helped found Shepherd College and I was employed as a pardon clerk in the Department of Justice until 1889. Who am I?

credit: @gentlemanrob and edited by @ami

Alexander Robinson Boteler

1610719549186.png

Action at Boteler's Ford, Battle of Antietam

I was born in Shepherdstown, Now WV in 1815. I was a farmer and agriculture enthusiast. I also was fascinated with politics and in 1860 I became the National Secretary for the Constitution Party. When War Broke out, My son and I both enlisted with the CSA, however, most of my contributions to the war effort were political. after the war I remained active in my community and helped found Shepherd College and I was employed as a pardon clerk in the Department of Justice until 1889. Who am I?

Alexander Robinson Boteler (1815-1892).
Source: Jerry B. Thomas, "
Robinson Boteler and Shepherdstown from the Old South to the New", Historic Shepherdstown & Museum.
Alexander Robinson Boteler and Shepherdstown from the Old South to the New (https_historicshepherdstown.com)

Sounds like Alexander Boteler to me (from Wikipedia):

Alexander Robinson Boteler was a nineteenth-century planter turned businessman, as well as artist, writer, lawyer, Confederate officer, philanthropist and politician from Shepherdstown in what was initially Virginia and became West Virginia in the American Civil War.

I've encountered Boteler mainly because of his serving as a volunteer aide to Stonewall Jackson prior to the Valley Campaign and acting as his personal representative to the Confederate Congress in Richmond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back