1-13-21 Lean On Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Who was the daughter of a prominent figure who had been Governor, Senator, Cabinet Member, and Justice of the Supreme Court; and famously told Mary Lincoln that she (Lincoln) could call on her at any time?

credit: @hughes

DBF

Sergeant Major
Salmon Chase was the “jack of many trades” but not the master of the one his daughter Katherine Jane ("Kate") Chase Sprague (1840–1899) desired that of President of the United States. [Not that she didn’t try to make it happen.]

“American Queen: The Rise and Fall of Kate Chase Sprague -- Civil War "Belle of the North" and Gilded Age Woman of Scandal”, by John Oller

Katherine (Kate) Jane Chase Sprague

1610551862576.png

(I can recommend following the link and reading the source, it is both educating and entertaining!)

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Who was the daughter of a prominent figure who had been Governor, Senator, Cabinet Member, and Justice of the Supreme Court; and famously told Mary Lincoln that she (Lincoln) could call on her at any time?

credit: @hughes
Katherine Jane Chase Sprague (1840-1899) daughter of Salmon P. Chase (1808-1873). When Mary Lincoln, after a state dinner told her that she would be happy for her to visit the White House., Ms. Chase answered, “Mrs. Lincoln, I shall be glad to have you call on me at any time.”
Source: "Kate Chase Sprague broke rules of society in staid D.C. ", The Columbus Dispatch, January 10, 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.