Trivia 03-12-19 High Rank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Who was the highest ranking Confederate officer killed during the Battle of Atlanta? Hint - this officer was reported by some to be the first officer to resign from the US Army to join the Confederate Army.

Credit: @SWMODave

Reactions: DBF
Leonidas Polk

Edit - Polk was the highest ranking Confederate killed during the Atlanta Campaign, but he was killed before the Battle of Atlanta took place.

He did resign from the U. S. Army in 1827, but did so in order to enter seminary, rather than to join the Confederate Army that didn't exist at the time.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Who was the highest ranking Confederate officer killed during the Battle of Atlanta? Hint - this officer was reported by some to be the first officer to resign from the US Army to join the Confederate Army.

Credit: @SWMODave
Major-General William H. T. Walker (1816-1864).

Leonidas Polk

Edit - Polk was the highest ranking Confederate killed during the Atlanta Campaign, but he was killed before the Battle of Atlanta took place.

He did resign from the U. S. Army in 1827, but did so in order to enter seminary, rather than to join the Confederate Army that didn't exist at the time.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that is Major General William Henry Talbot Walker, although I have not found anything indicating that he was the first officer to resign from the US Army to join the Confederate Army.

But I found this:

"Walker resigned his commission in the U.S. Army on the day South Carolina seceded"

https://kamcgop.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/a-most-un-civil-war/

There could not have been many officers who resigned their commissions earlier than that, hm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back