George Washington's Freedom Reserve Beer

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
Capture.JPG

Budweiser has decided to brew up an old recipe from the archives at Mount Vernon which George Washington used to make his own beer. It's a red lager recipe which George himself jotted into a journal way back in 1757 during the French & Indian War which was a "small beer" which meant it had a low alcohol content - perhaps so troops wouldn't be tipsy? If you want to give it a try it'll only be around till the fall, so check your local shops for this unique beer blend. Here's a link to the source article.

Also for those brave enough to do the brewing at home here's the recipe from Washington's journal -

george_washington_small_beer_recipe.jpg
Source

Last edited:
I would like to try it, but I will not. I do not buy ImBev products. Many St. Louisans and real Bud drinkers do not buy ImBev. They screwed over Busch and all of America. How are they not a monopoly. Funny enough they couldn't shut down the original Budweiser Beer in Czech. I might be good, but others ca buy it.

My humble attempt to translate Mr. Washington's note (my punctuation, capitalizations, etc):

To Make Small Beer
Take a large sifter full of bran; Hops to your taste.--Boil these 3 hours. Then strain out 30 gal into a cooler. Put in 3 gallons of molasses while the beer is scalding hot or rather draw the molasses into the cooler and strain the beer on it while boiling hot. Let it stand like it is little more than blood warm. Then put in a quart of yeast. If the weather is very cold cover it over with a blanket and let it work in the cooler 24 hours. Then put it into the cask. Leave the bung open like it is done working. Bottle it that very week it was brewed.

Back