Gettysburg Magazine - Scarce Issues

Scott Hann

Private
Joined
Sep 4, 2015
I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. Over the years, I've collected Gettysburg Magazine from Issue 1 - 66. During that time, it had several publishers. One of the publishers, I understand, only printed three issues or so in limited quantities and they are now collectibles selling for around $100. Can someone provide further information? TIA
 
I don't know about an initial printing in limited quantities, but as I recall, a few of the early individual back issues that were apparently more popular sold out as the magazine gained a broader audience. I think some of the early issues were reprinted as a set. My first article appeared in issue #5, July 1991, and authors once received multiple copies in lieu of (or to supplement) a modest payment for submission, but alas, I did not retain those extra issues, although I do have the entire collection from issue #1 (July 1989) to present.
 
I don't know about an initial printing in limited quantities, but as I recall, a few of the early individual back issues that were apparently more popular sold out as the magazine gained a broader audience. I think some of the early issues were reprinted as a set. My first article appeared in issue #5, July 1991, and authors once received multiple copies in lieu of (or to supplement) a modest payment for submission, but alas, I did not retain those extra issues, although I do have the entire collection from issue #1 (July 1989) to present.
And what a collection it is!
 
Thanks for the reply, Scott. I seem to recollect that Bob Younger published 30-odd issues before his passing, then Andy Turner? briefly took over. I don't remember if there was another publisher between then and the University of Nebraska now. I think there was.

By the way, my letter to editor was published in Issue 4, January 1991 and morphed into the "Attack and Counterattack" column that lasted a number of years.
 
I didn't know until right now there WAS a Gettysburg Magazine. The things you can devote 50+ pages to...

31763523.jpg
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top