Lincoln Abraham Art!

That's crazy. I'm so glad he included Abe the woodsman. In the sea of Suits ( caps on purpose, have a thing about those things ), too easy to forget who some men were and of what they were capable before being stuffed into all that tailored fabric.

Artist Kazuhiro Tsuji's Lincoln portrait is shockingly, "close-up perfect."
1559994984767.png

drgfhjk - Edited.jpg
Kazu Hiro's website.

In 2013 historian Harold Holzer wrote about Lincoln's face for The Irish Times newspaper, "Abraham Lincoln: The Ugly Truth." Besides describing Lincoln's homely appearance, he discusses the way Lincoln's animated facial expressions could engage or mystify people. Among the President's contemporaries whom he quotes is Lincoln's secretary John Nicolay, who wrote that Lincoln's expressions, governed by his mercurial moods, gave him a quality impossible for artists to capture:

"Graphic art was powerless before a face that moved through a thousand delicate gradations of line and contour, light and shade, sparkle of the eye and curve of the lip, in the long gamut of expression from grave to gay, and back again from the rollicking jollity of laughter to that serious, faraway look that with prophetic intuitions beheld the awful panorama of war, and heard the cry of oppression and suffering. There are many pictures of Lincoln; there is no portrait of him."​

As an addition to this outstanding thread of Lincoln iconography, I thought I'd link to another thread:
1866-jpg.jpg
rsz_1938-jpg.jpg
1700446206509.png

sun21959-jpg.jpg
1700446363894.png

monaco1956-jpg.jpg

Back