VA Zion Lutheran Church Cemetery, Waynesboro Virginia

Virginia Dave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Over the past few months life seems to have gotten in the way and I haven't been able to take more research trips for this post. However, I have begun to research the older church cemeteries in my immediate neighborhood. Guess what I found about a mile as the crow flies from my front door. Zion Lutheran Church built in 1832. So I took a drive by while the sun was shining and below are the results.

It seems quite a few Civil War veterans were laid to rest in this picturesque location. A good number of these veterans were in the same cavalry unit. Perhaps there maybe a member of CWT that may be able to provide us with more information about those that I could find. Some of the headstones were so worn that I could not read any of the information. So there may be more veterans at rest here that I could not find.

I hope you can take a few minutes to pay your respects.

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2625.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

IMG_2622.JPG

Zion Lutheran Church Cemetery.jpg

C G Dalhouse 1st VA Cal.jpg

C G Dalhouse 1st VA Cal

Capt Alexander McCune  Capt.Adjt, 52nd Va Inf Regt.jpg

Capt Alexander McCune Capt.Adjt, 52nd Va Inf Regt

Pvt Henry Miller  Co.E,1st Va.Cav.Regt..jpg

Pvt Henry Hanger Co.E,1st Va.Cav.Regt.

Pvt Jacob Leonard  Co.E,1st Va.Cav.Regt..jpg

Pvt Jacob Leonard Co.E,1st Va.Cav.Regt.

Pvt John Coiner  2nd Co B 52nd Va Inf Regt.jpg

Pvt John Coiner 2nd Co B 52nd Va Inf Regt

Pvt Keiser Co.E,1st Va.Cav.Regt..jpg

Pvt Keiser Co.E,1st Va.Cav.Regt.

Pvt Norman Hanger  Co.E,1st Va.Cav.Regt..jpg

Pvt Norman Hanger Co.E,1st Va.Cav.Regt.

Pvt Peter Hanger Jr  Co.E,1st Va.Cav.Regt..jpg

Pvt Peter Hanger Jr Co.E,1st Va.Cav.Regt.
C G Dalhouse 1st VA Cal.jpg

Last edited:
C G Dalhouse 1st VA Cal
Enlisted at Waynesboro for 1 year on April 19,1861. Wounded on picket duty at Williamsport on June 26,1861. Died at his mother's house in Augusta County on December 24,1861. 4 pages of records at fold3.

Pvt Jacob Leonard Co.E,1st Va.Cav.Regt.
33 pages of fold3 records. Enlisted at Waynesboro for 1 year on April 19,1861. Re-enlisted for the War when his year was up. Detailed as an ambulance driver until October 1863 because he didn't have a "horse in service". Listed as a "Teamster" on Receipt Rolls for pay. Musta got a horse in November 1863. Simply listed as listed as "Present" on Company Muster Rolls after that. Paroled at Staunton, Virginia on May 16,1865.

Private John B. Coiner enlisted at Staunton on August 2, 1861, per his service record.

Per the stone, A. G. McCune died on November 5, 1814. I found no Alexander McCune in the 52nd Virginia.

Company E, the "Valley Rangers," 1st Virginia Cavalry was the subject of an article by James W. Brady that was published in the Augusta Historical Bulletin, by the Augusta County Historical Society in Staunton, Fall 1989, vol. 25, no. 2. It listed ten casualties from the company incurred during the Gettysburg campaign, but regretfully none of the above individuals.

However, the first and last stone shown is that of Charles G. Dalhouse, a private in Company E, 1st Virginia Cavalry. He died at the residence of his mother in Augusta County on December 24 (Christmas Eve!), 1861, per his service record. The latter also states he was wounded while on picket duty near Williamsport, by the enemy, on June 20 or 26, and never returned to his regiment. He had enlisted at Waynesboro on April 9, 1861.

Pvt John Coiner 2nd Co B 52nd Va Inf Regt
His middle initial is "C." on his gravestone. Found no record of him in the 52nd VA Inf on fold3 or the NPS database. There is a John B. Coiner in the 52nd VA Inf in the NPS database.

Pvt Keiser Co.E,1st Va.Cav.Regt.
19 pages of fold3 records, 18 of them Company Muster Rolls. Enlisted at Fairfax Court House on July 24,1861 for 1 year. Listed as "Present" on all Company Muster Rolls through June 1864 except 1 where he was on furlough because he didn't have a horse. Last record is the Company Muster Roll for May & June 1864.

Pvt Norman Hanger Co.E,1st Va.Cav.Regt.
19 pages of fold3 records, 18 of them Company Muster Rolls. Enlisted at Waynesboro on April 19,1861 for 1 year. Present on Company Muster Rolls through May 1862. Detailed with Brigade Commissary/Major Johnson on June 2,1862 - June 1864. Was a "wagon master" part of that time. Last Company Muster Roll is May & June 1864

Pvt Peter Hanger Jr Co.E,1st Va.Cav.Regt.
Found nothing in fold3 or the NPS database for him. His father was 69 when the war ended and owned property worth more than $25K so he had to take an Oath Of Allegiance. That record is in fold3.

Dave, I’ll work on this for you.

Staunton Thornrose Cemetery has a beautiful monument on top of hill.
It is easy to get to.

Going into Staunton, you probably saw the National Cemetery.
When I was growing up that was known as the Yankee Cemetery because
They are all Union Soldiers buried there up until they changed name.Today’s Veterans can be buried there if they so desire due to that name change.

Dave, I’ll work on this for you.

Staunton Thornrose Cemetery has a beautiful monument on top of hill.
It is easy to get to.

Going into Staunton, you probably saw the National Cemetery.
When I was growing up that was known as the Yankee Cemetery because
They are all Union Soldiers buried there up until they changed name.Today’s Veterans can be buried there if they so desire due to that name change.
Thornrose was to be my next stop. I was there years ago with my wife when she was learning photography and needed to photo graph a statue for a project.

Back