1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Your very first ACW relic find?

Discussion in 'Civil War Uniforms & Relics' started by FiremarshalBill, Aug 18, 2016.

1. FiremarshalBill

FiremarshalBill Private

What was the very first Civil War relic you ever found yourself? Mine was a .577 Enfield bullet I picked up in the Tennessee River, literally only a couple inches from the waters edge "near" (I won't say "in") the National Park at Shiloh, TN in 1967. That little piece of lead somehow made it real and gave me a whole new perspective on a war that, up until that moment, I hadn't really though much about. Moreover, it began my long love affair with searching for those tiny threads of relic history that are still weaving a fascinating tapestry of life 150 years ago.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. CSA Today

CSA Today Colonel

A South Carolina State Seal button found in a field - it was lying on top of the ground in plain view. The button was apparently a souvenir accidentally lost by one of Sherman's men March 8-9,1865. Sherman spent the night of the 8th less than two miles away in a church. His men were camped in fields in the area. I was looking for Indian artifacts at the time so the button was a bonus.

4. TinCan

TinCan Captain Forum Host

A bullet I stepped on in front of the Railroad Redoubt at Vicksburg. It is my single civil war relic but I like it a lot!

5. John Winn

John Winn Captain

I only made one find and that was when I was maybe five. We lived in Atlanta then and I had older cousins who lived in a new suburb where they were still building. My cousins said you could find Civil War stuff where they were digging and one day we went looking through the dirt piles and sure enough, I found two Minie balls. I had those for a number of years but then lost them somehow. We moved about three years later so I was never close to any battlefields after that and I moved out west when I was 22 (and I be old now).

6. CSA Today

CSA Today Colonel

Over the years, I have found a South Carolina State Seal button, a North Carolina State Seal button, a Massachusetts button (possible state seal) several bullets,including a .69 minie and two 32 calibre rim- fire hulls all in fields where Sherman's army camped or passed through.

Yankeedave, Michael W., bdtex and 2 others like this.
  7. tbuckley

tbuckley Private

Being from eastern Ohio, I have only dug one Civil War relic. Back in about 1986, I was detecting my Grandpa's yard and found a General Service button. The button had obviously belonged to the man who built the house around 1870, James Bethel. James Bethel had been a veteran of the 185th O.V.I. At least I can identify the soldier the button belonged to. :smile:
    James Bethel is buried in the cemetery right across the street, and within sight of, where I dug it.

8. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com Sergeant Major Forum Host

I found my first relic (minnie ball) in 1970 in the side of the Sunken Road at Shiloh. My Grandfather took my brother and I to the park and we were walking the road and it had washed out of the bank. I got my first detector that Christmas. It was a Radio Shack put together and I have been a relic hunter ever since.:running:

bdtex, James N., Yankeedave and 5 others like this.
  9. redbob

redbob 1st Lieutenant

When I found my G-G-Grandfather's letters and uniform buttons in my G-Grandmother's attic.

bdtex, James N., Yankeedave and 5 others like this.
  10. kepi

kepi First Sergeant

.69 confederate musket ball near Vicksburg

11. CheathamHill

CheathamHill First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

A dropped enfield ball in the alabama skirmish pits at the base of KEMO NMP during a candlelight tour living history event in 1992.
    They took it from me and threw it in a giant bin with hundreds of others that were found over the years never to be seen again :-/

bdtex, James N., Yankeedave and 4 others like this.
  12. zburkett

zburkett Sergeant

My wife and I were in Marshall, VA where they were restoring an old building that had been a hospital after Manassas. By the dumpster I for a holster that had enough of the imprint to tell that it had held an 1851 navy revolver. What I didn't know enough to pick up were the dozen or so shoes also laying around the dumpster.

13. CheathamHill

CheathamHill First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

whaaaaaa? When was this

Yankeedave and tbuckley like this.
  14. Frito

Frito Corporal

My first relic was a Minnie ball I found at New Market Va.

15. zburkett

zburkett Sergeant

Back in the 80s when I had just moved up from Texas. That same evening I also found an old ink bottle. She already had a nice collection of inks but since then, the one we found has always been special.

James N. and Yankeedave like this.
  16. DonnieV

DonnieV Cadet

I found a fired .69 bullet with my metal detector in a park in Nashville. That was around 1971 or 72....and I've been digging relics ever since.

17. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

I could afford some good equipment but live too far from battlefields and have no access to battlefields privately owned that I know of. One more reason to love this forum. Sure do enjoy others posting about the relics they have found. Some pretty good videos on YouTube too.

James N. and Yankeedave like this.
  18. bankerpapaw

bankerpapaw 2nd Lieutenant

I have a bullet from the battle of Jenkins' Ferry.

Yankeedave and bdtex like this.
  19. Resaca

Resaca Cadet

I tried to hunt with a cheap detector when I was a kid, never found a thing . Years later got a good machine and dug a pocketful of fired mini's and some shrapnel at Resaca on my first trip out. I was hooked after that.

James N., DonnieV and Yankeedave like this.
  20. Yankeedave

Yankeedave 1st Lieutenant

Found a period medicine bottle in the foot print of what had been the Timber's home at Gettysburg.

James N. and bdtex like this.
  21. BTWhite61

BTWhite61 Cadet

I was 16 when I found a Federal cart. box belt plate on the grounds of Camp Dennison outside of my hometown Cincinnati. Found it in a pile of local dirt that had been excavated from a graded area where the original parade grounds were located (now an outdoor sports complex, I believe). After a few hours of searching I came away with dropped pocket knives, insignia, buckles, coins, a pocket watch, buttons, and heel plates. Later still, when my brother and dad went to the camp, we were still finding a lot of relics in bare soil in the same area and where some new home foundations had been dug; that time we found more knives, a bayonet, gutta percha watch fob, more buttons & etc..

bdtex, James N., DonnieV and 3 others like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)