Your Reflections on Lincoln on the 150th Anniversary of His Assassination

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Today is a day of reflection by the American people about Abraham Lincoln. I wanted to start a thread where you can leave your thoughts on the man whose election helped precipitate a Civil War and whose death punctuated the reunion of the nation without the stain of slavery. I realize we will see the usual provocations from the usual sources. Try to ignore them and put down your thoughts without reference to those who will use thiis solemn day to re-fight long-lost battles.

As a West Virginian, I remember him because he signed my state into the Union. As a member of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States, I remember him for his war service as president and his death on April 14, 1865. As an American, I remember him because I think he represented the best of our aspirations.

As a non American I have always viewed him as a bit of a hero of mine. I learned a lot more about him from those people on tis site that have a far greater knowledge than I ever will and some of that tarnished him a little. But, when all is weighed and measured I still think of him as an honest man, a man of integrity and a man with great conviction that the nation of his fathers shall not be a broken union but one nation under God

I cant say Im normally one taken with spirits and such but it does seem kind of strange the the double image in the mirror and his dream of seeing his own body laying in state. I think he knew it was coming and maybe that is why he saw these things. I believe he was under threat of assassination early on in his presidency and there were rumors of an attempt on his life, and he was convinced to wear a disguise. The newspapers caught wind and ran with this, making Lincoln look frightened. I think no matter how many threats he received, he would never be put in that predicament again.

I think it was tragic and more so because it happened so soon after the end of the war.

As a country we were so trusting before this - no Secret Service, visitors walking in to see Lincoln, Booth crossing the Navy Yard Bridge after curfew. His death was the end of an innocence.

Not unlike 9-11 was for us.

I believe, he was the last and perhaps greatest product of the Age of Enlightenment, after that Age itself had ended.

Based on some of the posts I've read on other forums, many people have a third-rate, fourth grade-level understanding of Lincoln and what he did. It's still surprising how many people blame him for all of today's ills with Washington.

It's refreshing to come here, where people may not always agree but at least they usually know what they're talking about.

Last edited:
How he endured his presidency I will never know, except that he believed he and everyone who supported him or fought for the Union was defending democracy itself, and maybe they were. He faced more pressure than any President has, and somehow he kept going even when he was in a worse place than hell. May he always rest in the peace he earned.

IMG_20150411_133711.jpg
Abraham Lincoln began his life at a simple farm near Hodgenville, Kentucky. He worked hard and studied hard to make a name for himself. He was a husband, a father and the 16th President of the United States. He was far from perfect but I personally believe he was the perfect man to be in charge at a very unstable time in our great nation. You can love him or hate him but you can never ignore this American personality. Abraham Lincoln is one of my favorite presidents and one of my favorite Americans.

Semper Fi, Mr. President.....

As to the main point of this thread, I truly believe that Lincoln was and will always be our most eolquent president. And nobody has captured what this country is about better than him.

I have President Lincoln tied with President Washington.

"Here, coffin that slowly passes,
I give you my sprig of lilac."

Walt Whitman, "When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloomed"

(Done from memory; sorry if I misquoted!)

Back