Your Opinion on this Problem - 1861 Pedersoli Springfield

devildog10

Cadet
Ok, so this is my second rifle from Cabela's. I had a problem with the trigger on my first one and sent it back with no problem, got my second one and guess what same problem. Or what I assume is a problem. So I called Cabela's and spoke to one of their reps and they told me I have no problem. So I would like someones opinion on here. I have posted a video of my trigger issue. Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/2nH-kPC7p2A

Ok, so this is my second rifle from Cabela's. I had a problem with the trigger on my first one and sent it back with no problem, got my second one and guess what same problem. Or what I assume is a problem. So I called Cabela's and spoke to one of their reps and they told me I have no problem. So I would like someones opinion on here. I have posted a video of my trigger issue. Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/2nH-kPC7p2A
I guess my question is, are the triggers supposed to be this "sloppy?" My first muzzleloader. None of my "modern" rifles are like this.

Their is nothing wrong with your trigger. All muskets should have some looseness in them. That is so the musket will not fire unexpectedly, when its not suppose to. The trigger pushes up on the sear when "pulled", all slack is taken up then.

Rebel Dave

Their is nothing wrong with your trigger. All muskets should have some looseness in them. That is so the musket will not fire unexpectedly, when its not suppose to. The trigger pushes up on the sear when "pulled", all slack is taken up then.

Rebel Dave
Hey thanks. I have never had one of these and it just didn't seem right to me at all compared to my modern rifles.. You are the man sir, and I am very grateful.

Unlike many modern arms that the trigger mechanics have their own spring.... A musket lock trigger assembly does not. it free floats.... as mentioned by others when the trigger is pulled it presses up against the Sear... which releases the tumbler and hammer to release/fall... Depending on the maker and type, some have more or less play in the trigger... but should have no adverse issue with the function of the lock or weapon...

Yes, I should have been more clear in my explanation. The trigger free floats in muskets (as Fred said). If it did not, their would be constant pressure on the sear when cocked, (that means the sear, and trigger would be in constant contact with each other, giving you the real firm feel in the trigger) and that is not safe, as a bump, or jar, of any type might set the musket off.
Rebel Dave

Completely normal. Just so you know though, NEVER dry fire your hammer on to the nipple like that. You'll end up breaking something, or mushrooming the nipple.

I like less slack in the trigger mechanism (personally) and something that I have found which tightens up sloppiness which is inherent in almost all reproduction Civil War muskets is to replace the repro trigger with an original part. When you remove the trigger assembly you will find the part is held in place with one screw. Remove that and the trigger slides out. Let me hasten to add you need to remove the barrel tang screw and the trigger guard screws to access it. The trigger assembly then comes out with minimal effort.

Some times the top line of an original trigger will need to be filed down a bit. You don't want the trigger pressing against the sear for the reasons noted above. It should however, fit and function better. Original triggers for the US 1861, a very popular model of which many were made, should not be hard to find from places like Dixie Gun Works or Lodgewood Mfg.

This is usually the first modification I make to "tune up" a reproduction musket before I begin using it.

Last edited:
Back