Your opinion on Gettysburg.

As you already know, You were correct. When given the order he said the height's and if practical. Which I knew, I didn't know he said without bringing on a general engagement as they were already in one....I assumed he was referring to Culp's hill because of Trimble wanting to take Culp's hill it and then him complaining that Ewell refused. Whomever wrote the Time life book was also was confused as they name Culp's hill in the order. Ewell would have never taken Hunts guns on Cemetery Hill.

I would have thought Time Life's account would be the most accurate reading even over a single historian writing a book. As anyone can be a historian and write a book. Clearly I was mistaken.

Look at the title page and see who wrote the book. Champ Clark is not a well-known historian of the Civil War.

I will be purchasing some of Eric's Wittenberg's books. Tonight or tomorrow. So which one of you is Eric? I'm assuming I have been making a fool out of myself and arguing with the author, so there goes any chance of a discount. lol

Eric is the one whose screen name is Eric Wittenberg. :smile:

That depends on your interest. If you're looking at the battle as a whole I'd recommend Stephen Sears' Gettysburg or Noah Andre Trudeau's Gettysburg: A Testing of Courage. Allen Guelzo's Gettysburg: The Last Invasion fits this category, but I haven't read it yet so I can't recommend. Perhaps someone else can.

If you're looking at starting with the cavalry actions I'd say start with The Battle of Brandy Station, then Plenty of Blame to Go Around and One Continuous Fight.

I thought Guelzo's book was outstanding.

Carhart has perpetrated an academic and intellectual fraud by making things up with no evidence to support his claims. In the absence of actual evidence, he simply says "I was trained as a soldier, so I know I'm right." It's reprehensible.

Because he was a military man he knew what happened? lol doesn't he know that over time times tactics have changed? Even if they did not change, What an idiot.

Just thought I'd let Jerry know ( not in a ' there there, poor guy ' way, in a ' feel your pain' way ) I used to bite on every, single, piece of misinformation out there. Oh, not the revisionist nonsense, I'm not THAT blond, I mean the folks who write in sweeping statements, making History sound so definitive from their perspective you do not notice there are no sources. Oops. I brought a lot of it here, too- one of the nicer things about the forum is they'll generally let you down 'easy', unless you attempt to argue a bad point. Don't think I've tried that, have viewed too many carcasses, but have looked awfully foolish on several occasions. That's when you wait hopefully for the thread to pass into oblivion.

Well said.

And I surely don't have a Ph.D. in history. In fact, I don't even have a bachelor's degree in history. My undergraduate majors were political science and economics. My master's degree is in international affairs, and I have a law degree. I have not had a formal history class since the 10th grade. When it comes to the Civil War, I am 100% self-taught. One need not have a Ph.D. to be a good historian.
I suspect a PHD would be more of a hindrance than a help.

By Chooding the strict defensive, Meade deliberately surrendered the initiative to Lee, thus, it was Lee's battle to win or lose. Lee was eager to maintain that intitiave to the end.
Meade was fighting 'Not to lose' while Lee was fighting to 'Win".
To me, that singles out Lee's main responsibility in losing rather than Meade winning, i.e., Meade had little to do with Lee's favoring negotiating with his corps commandders over commanding them..

Does anyone know during pickets charge what battery was posted in front of General Meades headquarters? My great grandfather and his Brother were in the 63rd and during pickets charge they were supposed to support that battery. My spelling has gone to hell

Sorry it took so long to get back on this. There were five batteries that were close enough to be called "in front of" the Leister House.

Arnold's Battery, which was Battery A, 1st Rhode Island Light Artllery, was at the stone wall. Behind them were Battery K, 1st NY Light Artillery and Havelock's Battery, which was the 11th Independent Battery, New York Light Artillery. Behind them and directly west of the Leister House, were Batteries F and K, 3rd US Artillery.

Just thought I'd let Jerry know ( not in a ' there there, poor guy ' way, in a ' feel your pain' way ) I used to bite on every, single, piece of misinformation out there. Oh, not the revisionist nonsense, I'm not THAT blond, I mean the folks who write in sweeping statements, making History sound so definitive from their perspective you do not notice there are no sources. Oops. I brought a lot of it here, too- one of the nicer things about the forum is they'll generally let you down 'easy', unless you attempt to argue a bad point. Don't think I've tried that, have viewed too many carcasses, but have looked awfully foolish on several occasions. That's when you wait hopefully for the thread to pass into oblivion.
And this is why we all adore you. I, too, have prayed my first posts will forever fade into oblivion....and been sorely disappointed when they 're-emerge' from the murk.

Well, that was kind, gee whiz! I'm claiming my ancient history of posting up until let's see- last week, if nobody minds. Then there are those members. you'd like to have a shot at claiming they took over YOUR account, so you'd look a little wiser. Hee. Who I'd like to be when I grow up.

Back