Your opinion on Gettysburg.

I also hate to overload with reading, but " Gettysburg's Forgotten Cavalry Actions " doesn't just do a play-by-play of the battles, it kind of slots the actions into the rest of the battle, lets you understand what was important about the movement and why, and what impact which-one had on the rest of the field, and also why. I remain a beginner despite having read until my eyes bleed, believe me- am only just beginning to get a grip on some kind of cohesive overview.

Eric Wittenburg's member ID is just that, he hasn't been in this thread, I don't think would sandbag anyone by arguing a point without that person knowing his expertise, from what we've been able to see of professionals here.

I have to say, that while ' Killer Angels' is certainly a novel, and annoying for the beginner because we always assume it's completely factual, after ascertaining an awful lot more, you can go back and pick out the bits Shaara got right.

Oh Lord, you'll find an awful lot more than Time/Life referrances, which do not contain the correct information. They're all only as good as whomever it is they hire to write their pieces, you know? As to why there are so, so many books out there which get it wrong, who knows? Some parts of the Civil War, if you read accounts by men who were there, were never agreed on- someone had some agenda which was never made clear, dug their heels and wouldn't budge, for whatever reason. I think what took me awhile to understand was just because someone set themselves up as an expert, it didn't mean they were.

Still a beginner, however, take that for what it's worth.

lol My evidence? If it wasn't for a spy named Harrison. The Army of the Potomac may have caught the ANV and Lee in camp and spread all over PA. Heth would have known he was attacking cavalry instead of local militia on the first day. They had little intel on the Army that opposed them, no idea where the 6th corps was at all and General Custer kicked his *** once he finally decided to join the Army. He spent the rest of the war trying to make up for his failures and his widow spent the rest of her life trying to convince the south he was not fault. I see your a fan of him. So am I, But Gettysburg was not his campaign. Longstreet and Ewell both thought he should be court martialed.

Oh, brother. Another one who buys the Carhart nonsense. I see that I STILL have a lot of work left to do....

I will be purchasing some of Eric's Wittenberg's books. Tonight or tomorrow. So which one of you is Eric? I'm assuming I have been making a fool out of myself and arguing with the author, so there goes any chance of a discount. lol

Present and accounted for. You've haven't been arguing with me yet, but I will be more than happy to point out the error of your ways (although the others have done just a fabulous job of it for me). Just FYI, you could not possibly be more incorrect about East Cavalry Field.

I have a specific question. I seemed to be wrong about the last day of the Battle as far as General Stuart. What were his orders on that last day. I had read he was to go around the union army get into their rear and hook up with the Infantry of Pickets Charge. Since that I am told that is incorrect. What WAS he supposed to be doing on the last day?

Please read the new edition of Protecting the Flank. You will understand completely what has was supposed to be doing--and did do quite well--that day after doing so.

Please read the new edition of Protecting the Flank. You will understand completely what has was supposed to be doing--and did do quite well--that day after doing so.

I am a little over loaded right now with books to read but I will read it thank you. So he wasn't planned to be part of the attack on the third day? How in the world do all these authors screw something like that up? It's Criminal. When you read a history book one expects it to be accurate.

I am a little over loaded right now with books to read but I will read it thank you. So he wasn't planned to be part of the attack on the third day? How in the world do all these authors screw something like that up? It's Criminal. When you read a history book one expects it to be accurate.
First grave error: Expecting any particular author to be 100 percent accurate.

Some things are known; e.g., Lee went into Pennsylvania.Why is informed opinion. That he got whupped is known. Why is informed opinion -- superior numbers in opposition, equal or better tactical moves, etc.

First plus: You seem to really want to know and ask questions. Have a happy time reading and don't forget to ask questions as you proceed. You might get more opinion and some really thoughtful answers. Meanwhile, you will be studying and learning all there is to know and think about the activities on or about Gettysburg.

Oh. And your per-book reading time will be tripled because you will now have to consult footnotes.

You all have been very patient with me and I do really appreciate it.

I would also suggest that, if you visit Gettysburg, that you try to get some time with the historians that are there on the field. I've been lucky enough to get personal tours from both the research historians that worked for painter Dale Gallon.....Sam Floca and Wayne Motts. Wayne was by far the most knowledgeable and, being a local, knew a lot of nooks and crannies that you would miss on a regular tour. Sam was good too, guiding us from the perspective of a military man and I liked that.

Got a great education from them both, and also saw the field and the battle from an entirely different perspective after spending time with them.

Carhart has perpetrated an academic and intellectual fraud by making things up with no evidence to support his claims. In the absence of actual evidence, he simply says "I was trained as a soldier, so I know I'm right." It's reprehensible.

Even Lee wrote in his report about how Stuart guarded the flank against a Union attack. I would've thought that Lee might have had a better idea of what the plan was than Carhart does now.

R

P.S. I liked Mike Nugent's comment on the blog.

Last edited:
Back