Pickett Your Opinion of General George Pickett?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8452
  • Start date

What do you think of General Pickett?

• Total voters
I think he was a guy of average or maybe below average intelligence, but good intentions. If he lived close by, I'd invite him over for a beer.

Since the most important assignment he was ever given had absolutely no chance of success, I'm not sure how much it matters how good of a general he was, unless you had an ancestor serving under him at Five Forks. Fate destined him to be a victim of circumstance, and he suffered enough to pay for whatever shortcomings he may have had.

I think he was a guy of average or maybe below average intelligence, but good intentions. If he lived close by, I'd invite him over for a beer.

Since the most important assignment he was ever given had absolutely no chance of success, I'm not sure how much it matters how good of a general he was, unless you had an ancestor serving under him at Five Forks. Fate destined him to be a victim of circumstance, and he suffered enough to pay for whatever shortcomings he may have had.

George would have definitely been a wine snob.

Well, I learned something new and horrible about him with the Kinsmen affair. I had no idea.

He would have also been a shampoo and gel snob. And that's about as high as his intelligence and concern went, unfortunately for those men.

If George loved cologne as much as I have read, he would have really bothered me. I don't like strong perfume smells. I don't even like to visit fancy candle shops for that very reason. I sure hope Sally didn't suffer with allergies! :help:

Or migraines. I wouldn't have been able to take the manly cologne!

Pickett didn't take responsibly for the loss for his men at Gettysburg for the Pickett's Charge. He, all but begged Longstreet to let him lead the charge. When his command was all but wiped out, He blamed General Lee for the loss, not taking any blame, himself! Such a cry baby!!!
There are not any books which I have read give any other story of Pickett's military leadership which deals with after this.Pickett's main difficulty seems to have been that he was promoted beyond his capabilities,then when you are ordered to march directly into a killing zone that really does not require much abilities in leadership.Question;If Pickett would have been killed would he have become a martyr against the charge or would he have a been just another officer who died in this heroic charge?

I go with the option that Pickett, Longstreet, and Ewell's strength should have been husband for a fight besides that on July 2.As Pete noted at Fredericksburg, commenting on the likelyhood of a chicken surving on his front, such was the same on July 3rd. Pickett's men fought hard in an unwinable fight. From one old soldier to another, the first one is on me.
Did not Lee say after the forces had returned that he FAULT was his?The weight of leadership or command is the responsibility to take that with success comes the possibility for failure .This is what Lee did.Pickett would have fallen down and worshiped Longstreet and Lee if this charge would have been successful and he would have been worshiped as a Jackson if he had .One seeks glory but rejects the failure as easy as they do the glory.

1846 and 1848 he won two brevets for his gallant conduct, he was smart enough and brave enough to have had a good military career but something went wrong, I’m going to say that a few mistakes (serious ones admittedly) could have been avoided but there’s also an element of plain old bad luck, the Shad bake being one of them. Every single notable general had an element of good luck and fortunate happenstance but it appears to have escaped Pickett.

Back