Your favorite spot on Gettysburg battlefield

Cemetery Ridge, at the far end of the stone wall where it makes the 90 degree turn back near Meade's Headquarters. There is a large tree there on the outside of the corner, and I like to sit there and meditate gazing across the field towards Seminary Ridge. The last time I was there, it was near sunset, there was a cool breeze, and that entire portion of Cemetery Ridge was deserted of visitors, which was very strange being it was late May. I pretty much had all of Cemetery Ridge to myself. It was so very peaceful, and a wonderful time to reflect what happened there.

1567610611082.png

Cemetery Ridge, at the far end of the stone wall where it makes the 90 degree turn back near Meade's Headquarters. There is a large tree there on the outside of the corner, and I like to sit there and meditate gazing across the field towards Seminary Ridge. The last time I was there, it was near sunset, there was a cool breeze, and that entire portion of Cemetery Ridge was deserted of visitors, which was very strange being it was late May. I pretty much had all of Cemetery Ridge to myself. It was so very peaceful, and a wonderful time to reflect what happened there.
Sounds like one of the times @mkyzzzrdet and I visited in late summer, 2014:

1567610711048.png

Haven't spend that much time at Gettysburg yet to have a definite favorite spot, but I very much enjoyed watching the sunrise at the Angle and LRT. It felt different being there all by myself with no one else around that early in the day. :smile:

Here's another spot we visit frequently. I am not too sure why, but we do. Most of the time there are no other visitors while we are there.
View attachment 295663View attachment 295664
Is that the graveyard on Howard Avenue, near Barlow's Knoll?

Haven't spend that much time at Gettysburg yet to have a definite favorite spot, but I very much enjoyed watching the sunrise at the Angle and LRT. It felt different being there all by myself with no one else around that early in the day. :smile:

The Almshouse Cemetery

View attachment 324040

Sounds like one of the times @mkyzzzrdet and I visited in late summer, 2014:

View attachment 324041
And that is EXACTLY what it looked like. Last May, 2018. You even got the exact spot in your first pic. That tree in the background, where the person is near, THAT is the tree and the spot where I love to sit!

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm not sure. There are many places I have not visited that I would like to. I prefer the quieter spots but am also very visual when it comes to imaging the battle so if I am stuck in the woods somewhere without good views its hard for me to envision what was happening. Therein usually lies the difficulty is a place with good views, but not a lot of people visit...which usually takes to off-season visits...

The Almshouse Cemetery

Yes it is! Always a quiet spot as not many visit.

I have several but I think my favorite of all is where the little plaque marking the spot where Colonel George Lamb Willlard was killed in July 2nd is it. It can be hard to find if your not aware of it. An obscure character, but in my mind he seems to epitomize the professional soldier of his time. Remembering these heroic characters is what Gettysburg is all about to me.

And that is EXACTLY what it looked like. Last May, 2018. You even got the exact spot in your first pic. That tree in the background, where the person is near, THAT is the tree and the spot where I love to sit!
Actually, the "person" is actually another small monument; there was absolutely NO ONE there - it was amazing!

I am early on in my deep studies of Gettysburg (on Day 2 currently), but I am still thinking that the Oak Ridge area is my current favorite place. Although, parts of the Culp's Hill area are pretty relaxing on the few times I have gone there so far.

Back