Your favorite spot on Gettysburg battlefield

MRB1863

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
1550754005566.png

*photo by buckeye bill

What is your favorite location on the Gettysburg battlefield and why. MrsMRB favors Oak Ridge because of the tales surrounding Iverson's Pits. I favor Little Round Top for an unknown reason. I just feel at home there in a way. We both feel Gettysburg has some type of magnetism to us, as we just can't get enough!

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite location is at the marker showing where the 13th Vermont began to line up as they swung into position to attack Pickett's right flank on July 3.

My great-grandfather was in the 16th Vermont, which fell in at the far end of the 13th Vermont's line.

There's fencing in that area now. I don't know whether the fencing is in the precise position where it would have been on July 3, 1863, or even whether there was any fencing there at all. (Actually, I suspect that what fencing there might have been was removed by one side or the other for firewood.)

So I can't point in any specific direction with certain knowledge that I would be pointing straight down the line that the two regiments would have formed. Even if I could do that, I still wouldn't know exactly how far down the line my great-grandfather would have been positioned.

But I know that if I point straight out from that 13th Vermont marker and then move my arm to the right and the left, somewhere in that span I'll be pointing directly at the spot where my great-grandfather was.

If it is ok, I'm going to give my top two spots...very hard to pick!

- Little Round Top at Sunset: my husband and I had a picnic dinner up there last August. Traffic had simmered down and it was quiet. We visited earlier in the day as a part of the tour so it was a different experience to go back up there with the intention of sitting down, having dinner, taking a few pictures...just spending time. It was gloriously beautiful that night such a hallowed feeling sitting on the rocks, looking out towards Devil's Den.

- Wheatfield at Sunrise: I've gone here a few times when the sun is coming up. Standing in the middle of that field as the sun rises is both beautiful and chilling. You can't help but feel something when you're there. Even in the middle of the day you can. And the kicker for me is no matter how busy the battlefield is, if you walk out to the middle of the Wheatfield you can't hear any other traffic noise or anything.

My favorite is Culp's Hill, southern summit, east of the trenches. It 's a secluded spot in the woods that saw a lot of lead flying back and forth from late on July 2 until mid-day on July 3. So many different units fought at different times in the vicinity that much remains to be learned about the fighting there.

There is a flat rock about 20 yards south from General Warren's statue on Little Round Top where I sit and look out on the battlefield every time I go to Gettysburg. It is a peaceful spot little way off the path used by tourists.

I wonder if that is where my husband and I were sitting for our picnic!

Devil's Den early in the morning .The Wheatfield a close second . Sunset is a toss up between LRT and the area around Cemetery Ridge near the angle . More photo ops around Cemetery Ridge at sunset and you can always find a place away from the tourists .

My favorite spot is the most important position militarily on the battlefield: Cemetery Hill. By the way, I agree and concur wholeheartedly with Northern Light: I actually like and enjoy the whole battlefield, however, if I had to choose a position it still would be Cemetery Hill, the focal point of the three days. David.

Back