What are Some of Your Favorite Quotes Of The Civil War?

“Here is a paper with which if I cannot whip Bobbie Lee, I will be willing to go home.” McClellan after reading Lee's lost order. Of course he was a bit slow to push across Antietam Creek and take advantage of this information. I guess he believed he had whipped Bobbie Lee since he wasn't willing to go home.

Vote Here:
“Here is a paper with which if I cannot whip Bobbie Lee, I will be willing to go home.” McClellan after reading Lee's lost order. Of course he was a bit slow to push across Antietam Creek and take advantage of this information. I guess he believed he had whipped Bobbie Lee since he wasn't willing to go home.
I guess so.

Vote Here:
In March 1863 the famed Confederate battalion known as Mosby’s Rangers raided Fairfax, Virginia and captured a Union brigadier general, men and horses. Upon learning the news, the president supposedly commented: “Well, I am sorry for the horses.” He then explained: “I can make a brigadier general in five minutes, but it is not easy to replace a hundred and ten horses.”

Vote Here:
"You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day than any of you to secure peace. But you cannot have peace and a division of our country. If the United States submits to a division now, it will not stop, but will go on until we reap the fate of Mexico, which is eternal war."
Gen. Sherman to JAMES M. CALHOUN, Mayor, E. E. RAWSON and S. C. Wares, representing City Council of Atlanta.

Kevin Dally

Vote Here:
Back