Your favorite image in your collection

Holy cow, Hardee Hat worn to perfection.

second that, what great hat that is

He looks quite regal in that Hardee hat....

Thanks all, but if we're only talking about hats, this one's BETTER!

D. C. Yakey and Whipple\'s Patent Cap 001.jpg

the original hipster...must have been from Portland :tongue:

all joking aside, that is a killer image. is that a forage cap stacked up high?

This image ( which I've also posted several times before ) is probably my next-favorite: Corporal ( later Sergeant ) David C. Yakey, Co. A, 25th Wisconsin, ca. 1862 wearing the very rare Whipple's Patent Cap, a bizarre combination of forage cap and slouch hat!

View attachment 22130

My 2nd favorite image is this one. 3 tired hungry rebels. Found in an album from an old family in Jackson County, MO.
Family name is Wilkes. Notice the artist painted the pupils on the fellow in the middle. Looks like cat's eyes.

Barring supporting genealogical evidence, I'm not sure these are "rebels"; though they may have been at one time. For one thing, this is a tintype and by far more of them seen to have been of Union subjects, unless: this is a photo of Confederate prisoners taken in a Union-controlled area; or this is a post-war photo. Because of the style of paper mat I tend to favor the latter. But if it's a post-war photo, they could as easily be Union veterans; or recent immigrants! None appears to be wearing ANY item of "uniform", either Union or Confederate, though the "cat's" boots look like old cavalry ones. Was there anything else that might help identify these men?

Sorry just the family name of Wilkes, and that the image came from an area of strong southern support.
Several soldiers named Wilkes from this area. That's all I have.... Myself and a local historian here in St. Louis thought they looked "homespun". Unfortunately most Missouri rebs, especially late in the war didn't have those nice uniforms like their cousins in Virginia .

For me as a horse lover I hesitate to use the word "favorite", but I have an enlargement of this haunting image of the dead horse taken by Gardner at Antitiam in my collection.

22disunionhorse-img-blog427_zpsb5ecc14c.jpg

Barring supporting genealogical evidence, I'm not sure these are "rebels"; though they may have been at one time. For one thing, this is a tintype and by far more of them seen to have been of Union subjects, unless: this is a photo of Confederate prisoners taken in a Union-controlled area; or this is a post-war photo. Because of the style of paper mat I tend to favor the latter. But if it's a post-war photo, they could as easily be Union veterans; or recent immigrants! None appears to be wearing ANY item of "uniform", either Union or Confederate, though the "cat's" boots look like old cavalry ones. Was there anything else that might help identify these men?
Agree. Nothing in the image makes it military or "Rebel".Looks post ACW. JMHO

View attachment 22037

I too have several "favorites" but if I have to pick only one, it would be William "Uncle Willie" White here. I've posted him before and used him as my original avatar when I joined the forum so most have already seen him, but I have to say he's my favorite since he's undoubtedly an identified Confederate subject and in an unusual "uniform".

Hi James-- I'm VERY late to this thread but I'm curious as to whether you have any more info about this photo. I'm wondering if he might be a Yank. That blouse seems quite similar--both in style and in the fabric's pronounced weave (is it knit?)--to the blouse that appears in many of the photos of patients at Harewood Hospital. I'm curious if there might be a connection, though I have no idea where Harewood's were coming from (beyond the Sanitary Commission).

(Warning: graphic images)
5283769948_c5bf3f298b_b.jpg

5416951152_724c2fe9c4_b.jpg

5410869858_ac78bcfe9f_b.jpg

Attachments

• 5283769948_c5bf3f298b_b.jpg
    5283769948_c5bf3f298b_b.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 5416951152_724c2fe9c4_b.jpg
    5416951152_724c2fe9c4_b.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 5410869858_ac78bcfe9f_b.jpg
    5410869858_ac78bcfe9f_b.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 14
OH my. You would hope these are not the only photographs their families have of them. On the other hand, what incredible testimony, beyond pension papers, of their service to something these men believed in. Scott Pembroke, Company D 198th PA, Pvt. Scott Keil, Co. G, 15th NY. Private Robert Stevenson, also 198th PA. You never know who might enter these into a search.

What a great thread to bump! Missed this in 2013, some awesome photographs here, whoa! Worth going back to page one, browsing all the way through.

Back