NF Your 'Favorite' CW Movie Mishap...

Non-Fiction

Tailor Pete

Sergeant
OK, now that I've got your attention. I was wondering how many of you folks, like me, tend to pick apart CW era movies for their inaccuracies? I do it all the time, much to the chagrin of my family, but I just can't help it! Over the years, I've seen it all... fake beards, inaccurate firearms, and inappropriate tack. What 'memorable' movie moments have left you historically scarred? Please, share these moments here so others might go off in search of these CW Movie Mishaps. To get the ball rolling, I will share my favorite, cringe worthy CW moment.

Movie: Gangs of New York.
Moment: The entire portion of the movie involving Union troops putting down the New York Draft Riots.
Mishap: Ah, where to begin. First, you have freshly dressed troops with awkwardly erect forage caps parading around the city... in actuality, the troops sent to put down the riots were battle hardened veterans fresh off the fields of Gettysburg. They had just arrived by train, and were 'volunteered' to give up their much deserved leave to deal with the insurrection. Their uniforms would have been far from crisp, and their caps would have certainly NOT have looked excited to see Leonardo DiCaprio. Second, these troops would have known HOW to use their weapons. One poor extra is clearly seen trying to fire his gun LEFT-HANDED! All-in-all, a horribly amusing portrayal of the CW Soldier.

So now, the ball is in your court, what moments do y'all have to share?

I too always search Civil War films for inaccuracies. I don't have a favorite mishap but as a general observation I often find the uniforms fake looking and distracting. I'm no expert in period uniforms but so often the uniforms look new and neatly pressed. When you see contemporary photos of soldiers at the front they usually seem more dirty and scroungy.

The dirty scroungy look is well done in Outlaw Josey Wales, which is one reason that it is my favorite Hollywood Civil War move.

Back