Lincoln Young Abraham Lincoln? Or not?

Here are a few differences I see (especially comparing the "new" portrait to a clearer version of the known young Lincoln portrait here, as well as other Lincoln portraits on the rest of this Wikipedia page):

The man in the new portrait has a pronounced hump in the bridge of his nose. Lincoln's nose is straighter.

The ears are not quite the same shape, and the ear of the man in the new portrait is more closely attached than Lincoln's.

Their eyebrows are not the same shape.
Can't speak to the eyebrows or ears, but I have it on good authority that someone mentioned the hump to him shortly after this pic was taken so he went out and got a nose job, and, voila! No more hump! :giggle:

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

Here is a site arguing that the OP face is authentic. Don’t think so. https://www.lincolnportrait.com/

This is the original pose of the OP:
FAFF9A03-EAD4-41AC-9250-29B15D5F649D.jpeg

Now, read the company heading at top. It is backwards. I flipped it here. This is correct image of somebody.
6AC86402-F047-4753-8FE5-2B78AD870CE5.jpeg

Compare that to this authenticated one:
7EC0A592-F5B5-464F-8861-BAAEEA1A5F3F.jpeg

Differences...
1. Hair parted on wrong side.
2. Lincoln possesses no double chin.
3. The OP image does not show Lincoln’s hallmark mole in his right facial crease.( so evident here)
4. Hair style looks “glued down” in first one, and eyes are not deeply inset, as Lincoln’s are.

Don’t know what the lincolnportrait.com is trying to sell, but I ain’t buyin’....

Last edited:
Don’t know what the lincolnportrait.com is trying to sell, but I ain’t buyin’....
I get it now from the clue in the caption: the body double Lincoln hired to get his political career off the ground has been found!

(“Don’t believe everything you read on the intranet.” - wrongly attributed to Lincoln; it was actually said by Edwin Stanton...)

:D

Here is a site arguing that the OP face is authentic. Don’t think so. https://www.lincolnportrait.com/

View attachment 385403

Now, read the company heading at top. It is backwards. I flipped it here. This is correct image of somebody.
View attachment 385404
View attachment 385405
Differences...
3. The OP image does not show Lincoln’s hallmark mole in his right facial crease.( so evident here)
4. Hair style looks “glued down” in first one, and eyes are not deeply inset, as Lincoln’s are.

I think you meant cleft chin

View attachment 385403

View attachment 385404
View attachment 385405
Differences...

Excellent point about the mole (possibly a cyst?) beneath Lincoln's right cheek. I've just looked at several known Lincoln portraits, and it's very evident in all of them.

no...the bridge of the nose is different..I think other things, too....but it's the nose that is definitive for me

I believe this has been heavily retouched at some point in time....FWIW

View attachment 385405
Differences...

View attachment 385403

View attachment 385404
View attachment 385405
Differences...

Wow, if you go to that site and read this guy’s dribble, he is almost certifiable........his collection of photos in his estimation is worth a billion dollars.....what a kook!

I got out my copy of Sandburg's bio and made a comparison of the images. And it looks like Lincoln had a ruddy complexion almost like old leather even in the early days.My dad's face was like that in his last years. You can see how the dark bags under his eyes became bigger as time passed. His hair was pretty coarse (One witness said it reminded him of a horse tail) Lincoln was getting "laugh wrinkles" around his eyes. He probably had a fairly poor diet in the Kentucky days. Exposure to harsh elements and wood smoke took its toll on him. He also had a couple of scars on his forehead. One from being kicked by a horse (or mule ?) and the other when he and his partners were attacked on their flatboat while it was anchored near New Orleans. The robbers got a first class case of "whoop arse" but nothing else.

Back