You Know You're Preoccupied By The Civil War When;

Yeah, well the tornado sirens are near our house so I was up at 3 whether I wanted to or not. In fact, as I type this, the same storm that had me up at 3 is heading your way now. Keep safe over there in Bama!!
Oh wow. I had no idea the weather was expected to get nasty today. I knew it was supposed to rain and whatnot, but didnt know we were expecting severe weather. Thanks for the heads up.

When tornado sirens go off at 3:00 am and you turn on the local news. You tell your wife and kids, who are huddle nervously in the hallway, that the radar is showing that the rotation is tracking a route just like Grant’s 13 Army Corps did on May 11, 1863!

They don’t find it interesting whatsoever!
This made me laugh so hard. I'm glad you're all okay!

And as someone who has driven her family crazy with questionably timed, random historical trivia for years, I salute your dedication to specificity! :laugh:

Hahahhaa I cant bypass the opportunity to point out that the two of you @alan polk and @JPK Huson 1863 were carrying on the conversation above at 3:00 am. I think THAT'S how you know you are obsessed --when you're up at 3am posting on the message board. And someone answers you! :bounce:

Wish I could claim something as reasonable as Alan- other than ' I like mornings '. THAT is an hysterical observation, Lelliot- thanks to all this tech, busted.

The other thing is, you have no idea how crabby people can be at this hour when you insist it's actually ' morning '. True story my kids bring up regularly, was voted into the only single room on our floor, in school. There was this communal ban on being allowed to speak to anyone before 6 a.m., too. Or being cheerful before 7. Gee whiz. Most of the day is over by 7.

The other thing is, you have no idea how crabby people can be at this hour when you insist it's actually ' morning '. True story my kids bring up regularly, was voted into the only single room on our floor, in school. There was this communal ban on being allowed to speak to anyone before 6 a.m., too. Or being cheerful before 7. Gee whiz. Most of the day is over by 7.
:giggle:

I am a morning person. Actually, I'm a morning person and a night owl. Hate afternoons and have no idea why they exist. :frown: If I could, I'd have a quasi-vampiric 7 pm-12pm schedule.

But when I was in college, I had to be at work at 5 a.m. on New Year's Day. I was pretty irritated about it but was up and at it at 4, in the communal bathroom brushing my teeth, when a very perky person I had never seen before galloped up to me and asked if I was having a blessed day. Have no idea what my face looked like, but she backed away very slowly. :bounce:

Last edited:
Since I retired morning is 10:00-3:00, afternoon is 3:00-6:00 and evening is 6:00-1:00AM. Please don't hate me or think I'm crazy!!! I can still put on my early morning face when necessary. I was up at 5:00 and smiling at school by 7:00 on too many mornings to count. I could write a book on how to be a fake morning person. :D
You have my sympathy! When I taught as a TA, they always gave me afternoon classes because it fit my schedule and theirs. I faked a lot of enthusiasm I did not feel at that hour. The students all being out of sorts because it was after lunch made me feel better about myself.

a very perky person I had never seen before galloped up to me and asked if I was having a blessed day.

Obviously a novice. Perky can get you hurt at 4 a.m. , although it'd probably be difficult to find a jury unsympathetic over a case of assault. People can be really touchy about this whole, baffling sleep thing. :angel:

Since I retired morning is 10:00-3:00, afternoon is 3:00-6:00 and evening is 6:00-1:00AM. Please don't hate me or think I'm crazy!!! I can still put on my early morning face when necessary. I was up at 5:00 and smiling at school by 7:00 on too many mornings to count. I could write a book on how to be a fake morning person. :D
We could co-author, sort of a North-South fakery! :laugh:

When your colleague tells you about her weekend, casually mentioning that she walked along Carl Schurz Street, and you start telling her about his participation in Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. :whistling:

But she listened with interest and even remembered that I had mentioned Chancellorsville and Stonewall's flank attack before! :bounce:

When you're going to the courthouse to register papers, your suspiciously giant handbag is searched and 2 books get put on that stupid table for the whole world to see. 1861 publication of ' Ladies Companion ', in a plastic bag, other handbook on Atlanta's post war Expo, yellow sticky notes in the section on the Blue and Gray reunion.

When you think about telling your wife that you just discovered that the man who published one unbelievable story in 1870 also published an unlikely story in 1865, but you refrain because the explanation would take half an hour to cover who was talking about whom before you could get to the why it is not credible part.

Back