You have $150 million to make one Civil War movie - make a realistic pitch.

Absolutely Franklin. You have everything you need to make a great movie. You have a desperate army trying one last time to win a war that is beginning to seem lost. Bravery, gallantry, and even a son who has not been home in three years dying on his family's lawn. Start off with Spring hill, climax with Franklin.

Absolutely Franklin. You have everything you need to make a great movie. You have a desperate army trying one last time to win a war that is beginning to seem lost. Bravery, gallantry, and even a son who has not been home in three years dying on his family's lawn. Start off with Spring hill, climax with Franklin.
Amen brother …

Follow me boys I'm almost home!!!

1468564_10201820530929938_204735958_n.jpg

I'd love to see a big budget movie on New Market. I liked Field of Lost Shoes even though it was a "B" movie. Admittedly, it's one of my favorite stories within the story of the ACW.

I'd like to see any movie on the period that told the story from the Southern perspective.
Good idea, I liked Field of Lost Shoes too, it was the main reason I finally (after years of talking about it) went to VMI to hear the roll call of the brave cadets that lost much more than their shoes in that battle. Has anyone watched Sons of Virginia?

I’d like to see a civil war story based on something like Band of Brothers. A story that follows a specific group of men whilst telling their individual stories. Perhaps a telling of the story of Richard Rowland Kirkland, his story alone would cover many battles and I’m sure the ending would reduce most to tears..."I'm done for... save yourselves and please tell my Pa I died right."

I grew up in Rusk county Texas, mostly in Overton. What, exactly, do you do in making movies. I v
e always had a desire to be a film maker.

I grew up near Tatum in Rusk County, heck I was down there yesterday killing myself tearing down a fence my Dad and I did too good a job of building years ago.

I've only gotten into the film industry about two years ago, I'm currently mainly a "weapons coordinator" and have had charge of the gun prop department. The first film I worked on I was slated to be credited as the "historical consultant" but after they threw everything I said out the window, I asked to not be credited, that first film was a western titled "No Man's Land" and had potential to be decent until the edit room gremlins as I affectionately refer to them, along with someone in the distribution company cut out most of the gun fighting scenes, (got replaced with a little girl telling the town fighting is wrong). I've only managed to work on budget films, but have been taking screenwriting lessons, and am planning on "moving up". I'm still relatively new, but the film industry is an interesting one.

Naval movie may be the cheapest but with $150 mil, Franklin or Port Hudson would be good.

You'd be surprised. Costs double when on water, You have to have ship, (or two), an expensive commodity, especially CW wise as vessels that match CW era designs are a rarity. You have to have you barges for filming, your space is limited, and he weather can screw up a weeks worth of filming in an instant. Most nautical films are very limited in shooting on location on a ship, (for example most of Master and Commander was filmed in studios on sets, with very limited filming on location).

If it weren't for the costs I would be contracting for a full size replica of the CSS Alabama, and if possible the USS Kearsarge. But $150,000,000 wouldn't be enough for such a film as the ships, if full scale replicas, would probably run around $10,000,000 apiece, you'd have to pick up and travel a good chunk of the world for scenes not only in Europe and Africa, but SE Asia, the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean, and South America. Even if you built your ship replicas on barges as temporary on location sets, and filmed a lot in studios it'd still not be enough once you had to pay the actors, the caterers, the extras, the crew, the props, transportation, and so much more.

No sir I'm afraid its actually more expensive on water, with closer to $250,000,000 being needed.

A follow up on my last post, one of the things that makes filming on land cheaper than at "sea" are sets. There are many all across the US that already built eager to let you film for a little coin. This one below is in Blanco, TX, they won't have to be rotated straight, (why is that an issue, I've been curious for some time). The place is "Pine More Movie Studios" I believe, but it also known as the "Buggy Barn Museum" with the most extensive, and beautiful collection of wagons and buggy's I've personally ever seen. If your ever nearby in that part of Texas, I highly recommend a visit. Not much CW but one room has a ton of McClellan saddles everywhere, (post-CW I might add).

20180303_104751.jpg

20180303_104913.jpg

20180305_105414.jpg

Pick any great regimental history: A Scythe of Fire (8th Georgia) or Last Full Measure (1st Minnesota) for example. Follow them, picking a number as your major characters, from enlistment, camp, wartime to the end of their service and postwar. Promote it like Saving Private Ryan, Gettysburg, Band of Brothers etc. BOOM!!!...hopefully.
Really like this idea. The 7th Illinois would be a good one as well. Donelson, Shiloh, Allatoona. Switching to the Henry repeaters.

Back